어떤 것에 대한 경험이 쌓이면 편함이 따라오긴 하지만, 그것과 같이 따라오는 부작용이있다. 그중 큰 것이 “새로운 것에 대한 두려움”인데..
1. 새로운 사고 방식
2. 새로운 방법 (어떤 문제를 푸는 데 있어)
3. 새로운 음식
4. 새로운 영어 표현
등 말이다. 먹던 것만 먹고, 가던 곳만가고, 쓰던 것만 쓰고, 하던대로하고 status quo를 유지한다.
편하긴 하지만 더이상 발전이 없는 이런 안타까운 현상을 묘사하는 표현이 있는데…
You can’t teach an old dog new tricks
- [Definition]something that you say which means it is difficult to make someone change the way they do something when they have been doing it the same way for a long time
[From Albert’s Experience]
Albert :“Dude I found this amazing new program!! It’s easy and you will save tons of time in the long run. You should give it a try!! “
친구 : (하기 싫어하는 표정) “man.. learning this will take too much time..you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!”
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Mornin’. But you sure can teach a young willin’ puppy just about anything. (The Long Hot Summer)
- And I’d just like to thank Evy for showing me that it’s never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. (Two and a Half Men)
- Well, we have learned that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Because it’s illegal and you will go to jail. (The Office)
- To Dorothy Zbornak, who got an A in her French class, proving that you can teach an old dog new tricks. (The Golden Girls)
- Maybe Anne Hennessy was out of my zone but it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks. (Jack Taylor )
- “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” Undaunted, I contacted Steffi’s veterinarian. (NYT)
- The big finding is that you can teach an old dog new tricks. The men kept changing all the way through, even in their 80s and 90s. (NYT)
- He finished in first place with a total score of 274.27 points and proved, as he said Friday, “you can teach an old dog new tricks.” (NYT)
- You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. You can’t teach a cat anything, ever.
- Who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Iv’e been schooled, and I like it.
- When it comes to values, can you teach an old dog new tricks?
an old dog 는 단수고 new tricks 는 복수인 것을 까먹지 말자