image source: unknown
어떤 사람의 마음을 사로잡으려면 어떻게해야할까? 우선 그 사람이 어떤 것에 좋게 반응하는지 빨리 파악하고 , 그 다음 그것을 제공해주면 된다. 필자같은 경우는 “좋은 음악듣는 것,” “누군가와의 대화에서 새로운 insight을 얻는 것”, “남들보다 20배 효율적으로 무언가를 할 수 있게 해주는 도구를 접할 때(신세계)” 등 인데… What about you? “What makes you tick?”
- Something that motivates someone; something that makes someone behave in a certain way.
“know what makes one tick”은 그 사람을 단지 아는 것 이상으로, 그가 무엇을 좋아하는지, 무엇에 동기부여를 받는지, 무엇을 싫어하는 지 등을 아는 것이다. tick은 보통 시계가 돌아가는 소리를 뜻하는데(ex: clock is ticking), 이것처럼 인생의 각기 다른 태엽으로 구성된 우리를 돌아가게 하는 것, 그것이 something that makes us tick인 것이다.
- Get him to our best people for disassembly, find out what makes him tick. We need to get into that metal skull, crack his CPU at all costs. (Terminator Salvation )
- He”s got to know what makes her tick. Which is why, if you don”t know who the woman is… it”s rather a moot point. (The Perfect Man)
- Why don’t you find out what makes him tick? (I Love Lucy)
- In just 24 hours, she already knows what makes him tick. (Swordfish)
- In order to find him, we have to understand what makes him tick… (Virtuosity)
- After observing an employee’s behavior over time you may have some thoughtful ideas about what makes her tick. (Bloomberg)
- Who is the real Ms. Massenet and what makes her tick? (NYT)
- I have always been interested in people: what makes them tick, what they like and don’t like, how their lives change as society changes. (Economist)
- You don’t understand what it is that makes me tick… But you wish you did
- It’s the little things you don’t notice, the intricacies you don’t care to know, that make me tick
- New playlist of songs that make me tick. Check it out!
- You know, see what makes them tick.
- How much do you know about what makes you tick,
- what makes me tick now.
- We can’t see what makes people tick, at least not without difficulty.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
- Frequency? A lot
1900년대 이후로 점차 많이 쓰이게되는 것을 볼 수 있다. image source: Google Ngram