image source: mattmacquarrie
이 Motivation은 Saeryoung Lee님께서 작성해주셨습니다.신이 아닌 이상, 어떤 사건이 100% 일어난다고 장담할 수 없다. 예를 들어, A에서 B로 가기로 결정했다고 하자. 그러나 생각하지 못했던 변수가 갑자기 튀어나와 C로 변경해야 할 때도 있고, 길을 가다가 내 마음이 변해 D로 가는 때가 있다. 그래서 우리는 확률적으로 사고하며 말한다.
- 그 일이 일어날 가능성은 매우 낮다.
- 내가 길 가다 그 사람을 마주칠 확률이 과연 얼마나 될까?
- 아이디어는 좋지만 그 사업이 성공할 수 있을까?
- The odds of that happening were slim to none.
- What are the odds that I would run into him/her on the street?
- The idea sounds good, but what are the odds of success?
- How likely is it?
- (반어적으로) Whatever happened was very unlikely.
- 보통 what are the odds of NOUN? 또는 what are the odds that PHRASE? 의 구조로 쓰인다.
Odds, probability, chances 는 어떻게 다를까?
chance는 “가능성/기회”이라는 뜻으로 일상적인 쓰이는 용어이고, Probability 는 확률, 즉 chance를 수학적인 언어로 묘사하기위해 생겨난 하나의 장치이다.
Odds는 엄밀히 말해, probability of success of event A/ probability of failure of event A(성공과 실패의 비율)로 정의된 또다른 수학적 용어이지만, 자주 쓰이다보니 일상언어에 자리를 잡았다고 볼 수 있겠다.
- Give me a break. Remember five years ago, when your kidneys failed? If you were a loser would they have been able to find a donor with an exact tissue match? What are the odds of that, one in a million? (There’s Something About Mary)
- JANI:What are the odds of you being seen with me? JACK: Impossible to calculate. (Croupier)
- MAX: They say they don’t know, but that’s crazy. I mean what are the odds… SOL:It’s just a coincidence. (Pi)
- MOLLY:What are the odds that Roy will win? EARL:Vegas has him at ten to one. They’re sure he’s gonna self-destruct. MOLLY:Those sound good to me (Tin Cup)
- PHILIP:What are the odds of a single woman being at this thing? TOM:`Bout a million to one. (Stir of Echoes)
- Raising a Future Olympian? What Are the Odds? (NYT)
- Now, what are the odds that the expected value of the former outcome is much worse than the expected value of the latter outcomes? (Economist)
- What Are the Odds of Japan Legalizing Casinos? (Bloomberg)
- Two guys named Yasmany/Yasmani in same ballpark. What are the odds?
- What are the odds! Ran into another fan at @costco
- $7.11 total at 7⁄11. What are the odds?
- l was thinking, what are the odds…
- What are the odds?
- - What are the odds on Santa’s Little Helper? – Ninety-nine to one.
- What are the odds that years later you’ll turn on the stereo and go,
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No
- Can I use it in a email? Yes
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes
- Frequency? A LOT