인생 살면서 이런 적이 있는가 ? 밑의 gif를 보자
이처럼 우리는 성가신 것을 없애려다가 소중한 것을 잃을 때가 종종 있다.
이런 상황을 아주 기가 막히게 포착한 재미있는 영어 표현이 있는데…
Throw out the baby with the bathwater
throw out the baby with the bathwater :
- [Definition] : to lose the good parts when you get rid of the bad parts of something
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- You don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater. You don’t give up on nuclear power because we haven’t got all the knowledge. (Battlestar Galactica)
- I still don’t understand why we have to throw out the baby with the water. Can’t I keep what I have and just build on it? (Mad Men)
- Until very recently,… ..diagnosis tended to be done after a histological examination… ..of the removed organ. A case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. (Dead Ringers)
- Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water, folks. (Life Of David Gale)
- Such an approach throws out the baby with the bath water. (NYT)
- Throwing out dividends with the bath water (Economist)
- Worse still is an egalitarian system where, basically,the baby gets thrown out with the bath-water. (Economoist)
- Be excessively reasonable and you risk throwing out the universe with the bath water. -Yann Martel Life of Pi
- @YouTube when an upload “fails to process”, at least give a chance to salvage the description before throwing it out with the bathwater.
[Video] - 실제로 어떻게 쓰이는 지 보라. 구글 CEO Larry Page 도 쓰는 이 표현!