image source: palmbeachetiquette
같이 일했던 미국인 친구 중에 박사학위를 마치고 컨설팅을 시작한 친구가 있다. 그에게 박사학위를 따고 컨설팅을 하는 것에 대해 물어봤는데, 그가 이러더라. “As a phd, it’s nice because you have a ton of respect in the eyes of the client cuz you can talk shop“ 밑줄친 부분에서 친구는 “talk about your work with authority”라고 표현할 수도 있었지만, 그것보다 짧고 명료하게 “talk shop” 표현했다.
- To discuss one’s work, business or profession.
- talking about work outside of work
- “talk shop” 의 사전적인 의미는 “일에 관해서 얘기하다” 이지만 ‘일 밖에서’ 의 살짝 뉘앙스가 담겨있다.
그래서 아래와 같은 상황에서 자주 쓰인다.
- 친구와 캐주얼하게 커피마시려고 만났는데, 결국엔 일 얘기만 할 때
- I met Jane from the office last night to catch up on the gossip but we ended up just talking shop (urbandictionary)
- 파티갔는데, 같은 분야하는 사람만나서 일 얘기만 하는 내 자신을 발견할 때
- At the party I met someone else who studies what I do and we spent the whole night talking shop and drove everyone else away. (urbandictionary)
- It helps if you can talk shop
- Looks like we’re working on the same case from opposite ends. Let’s talk shop. (The Living Daylights)
- So, Claudia, lemme just say, so I can get my role of LAPD officer out of the way before we enjoy our coffee. I never like to talk shop over coffee. (Magnolia)
- Better yet, how about we do our best not to talk shop while we’re together? That sounds good. Besides, I’m sure we can, uh, figure out some things to talk about. (Cedar Cove)
- So, when might be a good time to talk shop, Jeff? (Cardinal Burns)
- I told Jessica I don’t really want to talk shop while we’re here to support a good cause. (Suits)
- You can talk shop with other, noncompetitive companies in your industry, comparing notes and swapping ideas. (Bloomberg)
- A few weeks ago, over eggs and turkey sausage on Sunset Boulevard, two young television writers talked shop about their network hits, until a phone call from the Hawaiian set of “Lost” demanded Damon Lindelof’s attention. (NYT)
- Some say it’s verboten(뜻: 금지된 것) to talk shop while playing, and that business should wait until cocktails at the 19th hole. (Bloomberg)
- Join us for our inaugural monthly morning meet-up this Wednesday! We’ll tour local coffee shops while we talk shop.
- So excited to talk shop with some kickass founders. Business? Pleasure? Yes and yes!
- Always a pleasure to see you and talk shop — and life. Stay golden!
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
- Frequency? Often
20세기 중반쯤에 자주 쓰인 것을 볼 수 있는데, 왜 인지는 모르겠다. 요즘들어 다시 상승세를 타고있다. image source: Google Ngram