인생을 살다보면 스케줄이 엇갈릴 때가 생각보다 자주 있다.
친구가 금요일에 무엇을 하자고 제안했는데 금요일에 중요한 이벤트가 있어서
나중에 하자고 제안하고 싶은데 어떻게 할까?
I’ll take a rain check on X
[Definition] something that you say when you cannot accept someone’s invitation to do something but you would like to do it another time (often + on )
- I’ll take a rain check on that drink tonight, if that’s all right.
- I won’t play tennis this afternoon but can I get a rain check?
1. rain check 은 “우천 교환권” 이라고 하여 야구에서 유래된 단어다. 비나 눈이 와서 경기가 취소되을 경우 나중에 쓸 수 있는 티켓을 rain check 이라고 하는데
비슷한의미로 take a rain check on X 는 ”다음을 기약하다”라는 의미로 쓰이기 시작했다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Guess we’ll have to take a rain check. And we’ll check in with you tomorrow, New York. (How I Met Your Mother)
- I’m gonna have to take a rain check on that. I need to get down to the station to take care of some things. (Once Upon a Time)
- A: But I’m afraid, I’d have to take a rain check again. B:You… you promised! A:I’m sorry, Toby, but it’s unavoidable. (Astro Boy)
- A: Would you like to get some coffee? B: I’d love to. Can I have a rain check? I’ve got some errands to run. What errands? (Groundhog Day )
- my hands are tied. I must go, so, uh, I’ll just take a rain check. (Spin City)
- “I asked her for a rain check, and I look forward to doing something at her house at some point in the future.” (NYT)
- “I’m going to take a rain check on that,” Dimon said today in a conference call with journalists, when asked about whether he might be able to put the disputes behind the New York-based bank in 2014 (Bloomberg)
- They invited the neighbor with the dog, but she took a rain check. (NYT)