노력을 해도 제대로 된 결과가 안 나올 때가 많다.
왠지 헛수고한 느낌이 팍팍들 때, 허송세월 보낸 것 같을 때. 이런 느낌을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
- I feel like I wasted my time…
- I tried a lot of things but I accomplished nothing.
등 으로 표현할 수도 있지만, 좀 더 비주얼 적으로 표현할 수 있으니….
spin one’s wheels
- [Definition] To make no progress despite making an effort; to get nowhere
spinning one’s wheels…달리고 달려도 제자리에..
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Now, I’m not gonna spin my wheels on some woman who’s fried every synapse in her head. (Law & Order)
- I was spinning my wheels until I met Matthew Langford (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
- Whoever pours the last drink gets all the credit and you’re spinning your wheels half the time. (Mad Men)
- Are these guys ever gonna give up? The police are just spinning their wheels. (Beverly Hills)
- if Frank is just spinning his wheels, then you bail out on crazy and come meet me. (Supernatural)
- I felt like I was spinning my wheels. The only place I had fun was on the field. (NYT)
- I’m still spinning my wheels to figure out a plausible motivation for why they went (NYT)
- You guys are spinning your wheels. You’re spending money for nothing, wasting your time. (NYT)
- I just want to make PROGRESS on this book. Feel like I’m spinning my wheels and rewriting the same things.
- Spinning your wheels trying to make money online?
- It’s almost dinner time. Are you spinning your wheels about where to go?
1. 소유격으로 써야한다. spin my wheels, spin her wheels, spin their wheels, etc
2. 특히 이 표현은 euphemism(완곡어구)으로 자주 사용되는 것 같다.
- She has been wasting her time –> she has been spinning her wheels
- They have been wasting their time and archived nothing –> They have been spinning their wheels