가령 “애플제품은 좋다” 라는 아이디어를 글로 쓴다고 생각해보자
- Apple products are good
이 다음에 자연스럽게 나오는 질문은 “어떻게 좋은데?” 일 것이다.
그렇다면 간단하게 부사를 써서
- Apple products are VERY good 또는
- Apple products are REALLY good
- Apple products are EXTREMELY good
이라고 쓸 수 있겠다. 하지만 이 문장들은 소위 “소리만 지르고” 별로 영양가가 없다.
그렇다면 좀 더 구체적으로 ”애플컴퓨터는 ‘~ 할만큼’ 좋다 “ 라는 표현을 써보자.
이런 구조, 즉 동사로 형용사를 꾸며주는 표현을 구현하려면 어떻게 할까?
- Apple products are so good that they constitute a category of their own
이런 식으로 쓸 수 있겠다. 하지만 이 문장을 한층 더, 간결하고 박자감있게 쓰는 방법이 있으니…
* original sentence: “lingering nimbus of Steve Jobs’ personal charisma all contribute to a perception that Apple offers products so good as to constitute a category of their own” (Zero to One by Peter Thiel)
so ADJ as to VERB
- [Definition] VERB할만큼 ADJ 하다
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- But was their crime so great as to merit a death sentence? (Shawshank Redemption)
- He’s been so unfortunate as to lose your friendship. (Pride And Prejudice)
- We are not so naive as to believe they won’t kill some of us. (Defiance)
- An equation so complex as to utterly defy any possibility of comprehension by even the most brilliant human mind (Spaced Episode)
- SHREK Are you Princess Fiona? FIONA I am, awaiting a knight so bold as to rescue me (Shrek)
기다림이 정당화 될만큼 음식이 맛있었어!
“Food was so good as to warrant the long wait…”
- Can anything be so elegant as to have few wants, and to serve them one’s self? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- I’m not so shallow as to fall for you based on one carefully posed, cropped, and filtered picture. It takes two or three.
- Would God be so cruel as to bring your soulmate into your life when you weren’t ready for love?
- But John Key, the country’s prime minister, has made initial arrangements for staying in power look so easy as to seem casual. (Economist)
- what would they make of a species so intellectually advanced as to understand the precise threats posed to its survival and yet so immature as to ignore these threats? (NYT)
- Monetary policy won’t be so tight as to choke economic growth, but it won’t be so relaxed as to fan inflation (Bloomberg)
so ADJ as to VERB 형태에서 유독 자주쓰이는 표현이 있다.
[so kind as to VERB]
이 표현은 아주 우아하고 공손하게 부탁을 할 때 자주 쓰는 표현이다.
- Please, Victor, would you be so kind as to answer my question (Village)
- Kitty, be so kind as to pass the butter. (Pride and Prejudice)
- Would you be so kind as to come with me, please? (Charade)
- Sir, would you be so kind as to step over here, please? (Bourne Supremacy)