글쓸때나 발표할 때 중요한 스킬중 하나가 주제가 바뀔 때마다 transition을 잘하는 것이다.
발표도중 다른 토픽으로 넘어가려고 하는데, 그것을 어떻게 청중들에게 효과적으로 신호를 줄까?
위 그림처럼 자동차 기어를 바꾸는 장면을 연상시켜보라.
shift gears and VERB
- [Definition] to suddenly change what you are doing
- Now I’m going to shift gears a bit and talk about some of our early results. (1, see the [source] section for the link)
- Now we are going to shift gears to talk about how we can analyze nominal and ordinal. (2)
- All right, so now I am going to shift gears a little bit and talk about some explanatory models and risk factors for aggression. (3)
- We are going to shift gears in consciousness and re-examine the meaning and symbology of numbers with slightly new guidelines and perspectives. (4)
- Now, I am going to shift gears and backtrack, historically. (5)
비디오를 통해 어떻게 TED speakers들이 주제전환을 하는지 보는것을 권해드린다.
- Okay, let me shift gears and show you another target.
- So we shift gears for a minute,
- I invented a plasma antenna, to shift gears.
- If you don’t have the physical skills or the mental skills to shift gears and quickly figure out a solution to that problem that’s right in front of you, you’re gonna die. (America’s Book of Secrets )
- Just shift gears and join the female race. (Carmen Jones)
- Or should I shift gears and take the Civil Service exams? (Economist)
- A surprised Wright had to quickly shift gears, and tried to toss it to another teammate. (NYT)
- Besides, when leaders shift gears and talk of “entering a new situation, a new opportunity,” they become hostage to the very hopes they arouse. (NYT)
보통 “be going to shift gears and talk about ~” 의 표현은 말할 때 자주 쓰인다.
캐주얼하게 들릴 수 있으므로 글을 쓸 때는 가급적 피하는 것이 좋다.