무언가 돌에 새긴다는 것은 “공식(official)“과 “영원함(permanent) “의 상징이 있다.
실행취소나 뒤로가기는 하고싶어도 못한다.
이처럼 미국사람들은 무언가 고치지 못하는 것을 “돌에 새기는 것”처럼 비유해서 자주 쓰곤 하는데…
be set in stone
- [Definition] firmly established and very difficult to change
- I think people are kind of unsure about the situation because it’s not, you know, set in stone. (Juno)
- Nothing’s set in stone. It’s just something to think about (Roommate)
- Nothing is set in stone. You gotta make the right choices and keep moving forward. (Meet The Robinsons)
- Listen, nothing’s set in stone, okay? (Joshua)
- So let’s just talk this out because nothing’s been set in stone. (Liv and Maddie)
- To some of his friends it was a cruel insult, a mistake set in stone. (NYT)
- WHILE a diamond may be for ever, its value is far from set in stone. (Economist)
- We want a fantasy draft strategy set in stone, safe from the uncertainty that causes anxiety and second-guessing. (NYT)
- Nothing is set in stone.Anything can change at any time if you want it to.
- Not everything is set in stone, people change.
- If your menu isn’t set in stone, consider making some of these healthy Thanksgiving recipe choices instead