계모한테 시달리다가 인생탈바꿈한 신데렐라.
보잘 것없는 홈리스였는데 결국은 대륙을 재패한 징기스칸.
평범한 영어선생님이였다가 알리바바회사를 차려 이제는 재벌이 된 Jack Ma 사장.
완전 밑바닥에서 하늘로 솟구친 이들의 스토리는 영감을 주는데,
워낙 유명한 테마라 그것을 일컫는 표현이 있다.
rags to riches
- [Definition] to start your life very poor and then later in life become very rich
- Rags: 구더기, 걸레
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- So what is the secret of this rags-to-riches story? (Seabiscuit)
- Rags to riches, that’s not just the name of a book, that’s what this country was all about. (Tucker)
- It’s like a true rags to riches story, but I’ve always found the middle class to be just so much more real. (Just Friends)
- So what we’re looking at here is a true rags-to-riches story. (Magnolia)
- So why, in the name of all that is holy, is he choosing to spend his precious time making a cookie cutter rags-to-riches rapper story? (Is Jim Sheridan hitting the magic stick)
from rags to riches
- Bron is the perfect rags to riches story. Only thing he ever did wrong was televise his free agency decision in 2010. And he paid for that.
- Incredible rags-to-riches story of the #WhatsApp founders shows perseverance wins in the end
- Here are 10 billionaires who started with nothing but their dreams. Read about their amazing rags to riches stories
- Though it is not quite the rags-to-riches story he wanted people to believe, his life encompassed almost all of the 19th century and is full of dramatic twists and surprises. (NYT)
- Rags to riches: Can oil ever help the poor? (Economist)
- The film follows the traditional rags-to-riches route, as Martha rises from a poverty-stricken childhood in Nutley, NJ, to the head of a vast financial empire (NYT)
이 표현이 입에 착착 붙는 이유는 Rag to Riches의 alliteration 때문이다.