미국 대화의 문화중에는 손짓을 사용해 따옴표 모양을 만들어, 지금 현재 하는 말이 인용구이거나 또는 풍자적으로 비꼴 때가 있는데…
이걸 손짓이 아닌 말로도 표현할 수있다.
- a parenthetical expression said before a word or short phrase indicating that the word or phrase would be in quotation marks if used in writing.
- So I said to her, quote, unquote, it’s time we had a little talk.
“괄호 열고, 괄호 닫고.”라고 생각하면 이해하기 쉽다.
[예동] 예문 동영상
- Get a load of that quote-unquote Santa.
- quote unquote “legit people.”
- we’ve quote unquote “decommissioned” some of the warheads.
- back in the old days, nobody got married out of quote, unquote, love. (Dogma)
- I think I have this thing where I need everybody to think I’m the greatest — the quote-unquote fantastic Mr. Fox (Fantastic Mr Fox)
- they’re still quote-unquote depressed. (Heathers)
- I think this’ll help me get through the quote, unquote event. (Boondock Saints 2)
- I’m not even going to attempt to write this quote-unquote “steamy” scene here, for several good reasons: (Last Boy Scout)
- Lynne and I get along because we do a job together, but we are not quote-unquote friends. (NYT)
- The presidency requires leadership … there are times when a president will do something that the group of quote-unquote experts does not agree with. (Economist)
- Tell us, Judge, which parts of To Kill a Mockingbird did you find quote unquote boring? (NYT)
- I was fired because of quote-unquote management skills..
- You call yourself a quote unquote programmer, so why did you just close your string early and cause a syntax error?
- I have a policy to only ask people to quote-unquote like my facebook page when someone unlikes it. Because I’m too needy to let that stand!