겉으로보면 가능성이 희박하거나/어려워 보이는 일들을 해낸 사람들이 있다.
우리는 그런 것에 이렇게 반응한다
- “어떻게 쟤가 저렇게 (잘생긴/예쁜) (남자/여자) 랑 사귀지??”
- 도대체 저만큼을 어떻게 팔았데…
- 어떻게 저런 스타일을 소화하지
저 밑줄친 부분을 통틀어서 한국어로는
- 도대체 어떻게 했데..
라고 표현할 수 있는데, 이런 느낌을 영어로는 어떻게 표현할까?
pull something off
[Definition] to manage to make something happen.
- Yes, I can pull it off.
- Do you think you can pull off this deal?
- O’NEIL: How did you pull that off? McGINTY:How else? With your money. (Replacements)
- MARY: You know how sometimes you see a pinguid (that means fat and greasy) guy with an attractive girl and you think how the heck did he pull that off? (All About Steve)
- But if you can pull it off, you are a god among men, all right? (Waiting)
- I never thought you’d pull it off. But you did. (Semi-Pro)
- I got a crazy plan, but only the craziest among us can pull it off. (Detroit Rock City )
- “We knew we could pull it off ? we had the tools,” said one senior official who worked at the Pentagon (NYT)
- Arby’s Made a Commercial for Pepsi, and It’s Great. Frank, honest advertising is remarkably winning, but not every company can pull it off as well as Arby’s. (Bloomberg)
- Companies that can pull that off should be able to take additional market share from their less resourceful competitors. (Bloomberg)