이런 불편한 감정들을 느껴본적이 있는가?
- 무언가를 처음으로 시도해볼 때, 그런데 좀처럼 자연스럽지 않을 때
- 내가 모르는 분야의 전문가들 사이에 껴서 그들의 대화를 한~~~~마디로 이해하지 못할 때
- 어렸을 적 좋아하는 여자아이를 데리고 처음으로 근사한 레스토랑을 갔는데, 무얼 시킬지 몰라 쩔쩔 해맬 때 (한번도 이런데를 와본적이 없으므로)
- 처음 21살이 되어서 바에 갔는데, 무슨 술을 시킬지 모를 때 (한번도 바 라는 곳을 와본적이 없으므로)
- 새로운 환경에 들어가게됐는데(예를들어 학교를 졸업하고 회사 취직) 문화적으로 이질감을 느낄 때
이런 감정을 어떻게 효과적으로 묘사할까? 어떤 단어들이 떠오르는가?
- hate this feeling
- have no idea what I’m doing
- not used to it
- out of my comfort zone
그렇다면 이런 여러 감정들을 합집합해서 어떻게 표현할까?
out of one’s element
- [Definition] not in a natural or comfortable situation.
- God, I don’t know, I was just maybe a little out of my element, and after Helen’s speech (Bridesmaids)
- He now walks down the charming main artery of the town, looking exactly like what he is: a cynical New Yorker out of his element on sunny Main Street, USA. (Runaway Bride)
- Hey, you a little out of your element around here, ain’t you, Mister Tibbs? (Talk To Me)
- Lynn’s husband, tries to fix the broken A/C. His glasses and white oxford shirt drenched in sweat, Doug is totally out of his element (Hills Have Eyes)
- You’re out of your element, baby. You’re out of your league. And you’re out of your goddamn mind. (Marci X)
- Elizabeth Yale felt distinctly out of her element, standing there with her friend that February night in 2006 in the subterranean, candlelit club… (NYT)
- But government is out of its element trying to micromanage businesses. (Economist)
- “Coming into it, I was, like, completely out of my element,” he said of YouthCare. “But in the time I’ve been here, it’s a pretty diverse group of people. (NYT)
- You make me feel out of my element, like I’m walkin on broken glass ?? #disneyradio #kidatheart
- currently surrounded by art & design majors I’m out of my element
- This is the most snow I’ve seen at once in my entire life… I’m out of my element here