“교육은 왜 중요한가”라는 질문에는 다음과 같이 대답을 할 수 있다.
그런데 만약에 이 친구가 이렇게 많은 이유들을 간과하고 ”교육은 오직 돈을 벌기위한 수단”이라는 생각을 가지고 있다면,
그렇다면 이 친구가 이렇게 생각하는 것을 영어로 어떻게 표현할 수 있을까? 독자님들도 정답을 보기 전에 한번 생각해보길 바란다.
- 시도1: Among many reasons, he considers that education is useful only because it expands his income
- 시도2: He considers education to be useful because it expands your income
시도1은 너무 wordy하고 시도2는 다른 이유들을 간과한 뉘앙스가 없다.
간결하면서도, 문장에 소위 ”범위” 를 주는… 그런 표현이 없을까?
(예문에 맞게 원본 문장을 조금 고쳤습니다. 원본 문장 출처: http://www.raptitude.com/2015/03/this-just-in-humans-are-bad-at-everything-thats-important/)
- [Definition] to the degree or extent that
[From Movies &TV Shows]
- Yes to the first, yes to the second, but only insofar as we keep to the shallows as much as possible. (Pirates of the Caribbean)
- A silence I’m sure he means to keep, but only insofar as he’s capable of keeping it. (Dracula)
- We matter only insofar as we consume. (Spooks)
- then maybe you can understand… insofar as it is possible for you to understand… (Town And Country)
- I renounce my own pleasure, comfort or gratification, except insofar as you desire or permit them. (Sick)
- Amin Maalouf, a French-Arab novelist, nailed this point when he wrote that “traditions deserve respect only insofar as they are respectable (NYT)
- Sadly, by the standard set by China’s daily newspapers, Bo’s crimes are extraordinary only insofar as they involve a very senior official. (Bloomberg)
- Money matters only insofar as it is a proxy for welfare. (Economist)
- manufacturing output matters for prosperity only insofar as it comes with jobs.
- The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler.
- You persuade a man only insofar as you can talk his language…identifying your ways with his” - Kenneth Burke