어떤 사람과 어떤 주제에 관해 대화를 하다보면, 대화의 끝이 보이기 시작할 때가 있다.
- 더이상 붙일 말이 없거나
- 시간이 오래되었거나
- 주제변경을 하고 싶거나
- It’s a metaphor from music that typically comes at the end of a speech and means in that way or in that spirit. Source: English StackExchange
on that note에서 note는 음악에서의 음을 뜻한다.즉, 대화가 음악이고, 같이 대화하는 상대가 연주파트너라고 생각한다면,
“on that note”은 “이 음에서 끝내지”라고 말하는 것과 같다.
- And on that note, I’m stepping back into the real world! To everyone who has sent me so many wonderful messages tonight: you’re the BEST X
- And on that note goodnight all !!
- Drew this coming back from the venue. On that note, goodnight everyone
- And on that note, I’m gonna take a shit. (Ides of March)
- And on that note, let’s start eating. (12 Years a Slave)
- On that note, and with the power vested in me by the state of Connecticut and Neil Young, I now pronounce you husband and wife. (Rachel Getting Married)
- And on that note, good night. (Dadnapped)
- On that note, game on! (Wayne’s World 2)
- On that note, his defense lawyer, Barry Roux, called time on almost seven full days in the stand, starting on April 7. (NYT)
- On that note, I am off on a trip to Iceland, to see how that country is coping with the aftermath of a debt crisis. (Economist)
- On that note, Gross put in his two cents as to what it will take for a portfolio manager to be successful over the next 35 years. (Bloomberg)
- So on that note, I’m at this point really curious
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No
- Can I use it in an email? Yes
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No
- Frequency? 대화에서 제일 많이 쓰이는 것을 볼 수 있다.