잠깐이나마 현실감각을 잊어버렸을 때가 있는가? 또는 그러한 사람을 알고 있는가?
1. 다이어트를 하기로 마음먹고 3일간 식사조절했는데 , 더이상 못참겠어서 쿠키를 스무조각 먹었을 때
2. 계획에도 없던 것을 질러버렸을 때...
3. (타인에 의해서나 스스로) Bad management로 인해 계획이 엉망진창이 됬을 때
이런 감정을 미국에서는 "기차가 선로에서 벗어난" 이미지로 포착할 수 있다
[Definition] 1) If someone has gone off the rails, they have lost track of reality. 2) to start behaving strangely or in a way that is not acceptable to society[Comment]보통 go와 send와 자주 쓰인다.
go 와 쓰일 경우에는 "탈선하다" 이고send와 쓰일 경우에는 "탈선시켜버리다" 라고 볼 수 있다.[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Something goes off the rails
- Send something off the rails
- So yeah, maybe drowning when he was nine years old was what sent him off the rails, but the dude was definitely riding the crazy train. (Teen Wolf)
- She says that's what sent her off the rails. (Doctor Who)
- Every single time that he's gone off the rails in the past, his best friend Lexi’s been the one to bring him back. (The Vampire Diaries)
- No, I can't go off the rails. My Mum she needs me to be OK. I have to be OK (Skins)
- This wedding is about to go off the rails, and it is my duty as head bridesmaid to take charge. (Awkard)
- The U.S. shadow-banking system, with its off-balance-sheet vehicles and murky dealings, helped drive world markets off the rails in 2008. (Bloomberg)
- We all go off the rails sometimes, but their job is to make us look good. (Economist)
- And "The Big Rewind" goes badly off the rails in its final chapters, which detail Mr. Rabin's experiences as a regular on a basic-cable movie review show and his attempts to be a guest critic on "Ebert & Roeper." (NYT)
[Comment]off the rail"s" 에서 rails가 복수 인 것을 까먹지 말자
- I've eaten 3 cream eggs today... It’s completely off the rails
- On reflection, the Boyhood series had really gone off the rails by the time they got to Boyhood in Space and Boyhood in the Hood.
- i'm looking at $60 luxury scented candles i’ve gone off the rails