image source: FistfulOfTalent
이 Motivation은 Saeryoung Lee님께서 작성해주셨습니다.어떤 일에 대한 해석이나 의견이 명백한 거짓인 경우가 있다고 치자. 우리는 그런 이야기를 접했을 때 “그건 사실과 무관하다. 완전 뻥이다” 라고 말한다. 보통은 아래와 같이 True, false, wrong, not true와 같은 형용사를 사용한다.
- That is just wrong.
- That is completely wrong.
- That is not true at all.
- what has been suggested is completely untrue
아주 강하게 부정할 때 자주쓰이는 표현이다.
- 여자친구: 너 이제 내가 익숙해졌구나.
- 남자친구: Nothing could be further from the truth!
- A:I thought you were in trouble. B: No, that couldn’t be further from the truth. (Revenge)
- Brigitte: You let me sleep because you can’t bear to have breakfast with me. MICHAEL: Nothing could be further from the truth. I boiled you an egg. See? (The Reader)
- COL LANDA: That sounded suspiciously like a Private questioning the order of a Colonel? Or am I just being sensitive? FREDRICK: Nothing could be further from the truth Colonel. Your authority is beyond question. (Inglourious Basterds)
- Your Honor, Counselor is attempting to portray my client as a hideous manifestation of evil and corruption. But nothing could be further from the truth. (Philadelphia)
- SPUD: Calm down, calm down. It’s going to be all right, everything’s going to be just fine. RENTON: Nothing could have been further from the truth. In point of fact, nothing at all was going to be just fine. On the contrary, everything was going to be bad. Bad? I mean worse than it already was. (Trainspotting)
- In “Weak Oversight, Deadly Cars” (Op-Ed, Oct. 29), Clarence Ditlow and Ralph Nader claimed that automakers place profits ahead of safety. Nothing could be further from the truth. (NYT)
- Many leaders think that the longer they speak, the more important they sound. Nothing could be further from the truth. (Bloomberg)
- It says that the TIMES is “threatening the Administration with forcible overthrow.” Nothing could be further from the truth than this; (NYT)
- This couldn’t be further from the truth. Ignorance is bliss. In this case, though, it is dangerous.
- I was told these 4 years would fly by. Nothing could be further from the truth.
- Most people think that middle managers are becoming less important…nothing could be further from the truth
- It couldn’t be further from the truth for me.
- Nothing could be further from the truth,
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in a email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
Nothing could be further from the truth 처럼 거리의 속성을 가진 표현은 하나 더있는데, 덤으로 가져가시길 바란다.“I am nowhere near ready for the game”