첫인상은 중요하지만 인생을 살다보면 겉으로 보이는 것 이상인 것이 참으로 많다.
- 겉표지는 구리지만 엄청나게 insightful 한 책
- 그냥 쓱쓱 그린 것 같지만 엄청난 의미가 담겨진 그림
- 어떻게보면 너무나 당연하고 자연스럽지만 엄청 복잡한 메커니즘으로 구성된 현상(사회학, 심리학에서 다뤄지는 토픽)
- 예리하고 날카로운 눈과 혜안으로만 볼 수 있는 그 무엇(셜록홈즈를 떠올려보라)
“눈에보이는 것이 전부가 아니다”라는 것을 상기시켜주는 표현이 있으니..!
more than meets the eye
- there is more to X than meets the eye
- x is more than meets the eye
[Definition] more interesting or complicated than someone or something appears at first
- There is more to her death than meets the eye - she was probably murdered.
- There must be more to him than meets the eye, or else why would she be interested in him?
“more than meets the eye” 는 “Tip of the iceberg”, 즉 “빙산의 일각”이라는 표현과 비슷한데,
이 두표현의 차이는 tip of the iceberg는 사물에 초점을 두고, more than meets the eye는 관찰자에게 초점을 더 맞춘다는 점이다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Mr. Goudy There is more to this shooting than meets the eye, Judge Parker. (True Grit)
- There is more to you than meets the eye, isn’t there? (Pirates Of The Caribbean)
- GANDALF: I think there’s more to this hobbit than meets the eye. (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring)
- But there’s more to this case than meets the eye (Private Life of Sherlock Holmes)
- They look at each other and they both know there’s a lot more than meets the eye (Insider)
- Google Apps: More Than Meets the Eye? (Bloomberg)
- Biologists, psychologists and economists who have studied acts of goodness say there is more to altruistic behavior than meets the eye. (NYT)
- There are more things to what we see than meets the eye. May be the astrologers or soothsayers have that ability to look beyond. (Economist)
- You can break me down if it takes all your might, cause im so much more than meets the eye.
- There is more to this world than meets the eye,some good,some pure evil.
- Think you know what it takes to be a Minor League manager? There’s more to the job than meets the eye