- “쟤 냅두면 아무것도 안할껄?”
- “어떤 대학원생은 냅둬야 진정으로 실력을 발휘하죠”
- “서로에 대한 불신을 그대로 방치해버리면 나중에는 돌이키기가 쉽지 않죠”
- “아무도 보지 않는 곳에 자유롭게 내버려둔다면, 어떤 일을 하겠어요?”
이 밑줄 친 부분을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
leave something alone으로도 표현할수 있지만, 중요한 “자유로움/맘대로 행동할 수 있는”의 느낌이 빠졌다.
“내버려둠+ 맘대로 행동할 수 있는(자율성)” 이 느낌을 동시에 표현하려면 어떻게 할까?
leave to one’s own devices
[Definition] to leave alone, unsupervised, without assistance.
- Left to my own devices, I’ll spend hours staring into space, just thinking.
- Let’s leave her to her own devices and see what she comes up with.
- Left to her own devices, Melinda can be self-destructive. (Melinda And Melinda)
- So I wasn’t all that great when left to my own devices. (Awkward)
- One of those things we sometimes see in adolescents, when curious boys, left to their own devices, act out in ways they don’t fully understand. (Law & Order)
- I find the skilled amongst us are better off left to their own devices. (Royal Pains)
- He’s a lovely wee chap Mrs Hughes, the last thing I would wish to be is rude but in this case, I really must be left to my own devices. (Downton Abbey)
- With No Animal Shelter Nearby, Bronx Rescuers Are Left to Their Own Devices. (NYT)
- And some creative people would never finish anything if they were left to their own devices. (Economist)
- Left to the narrative’s blunt devices, the players, with few exceptions, immerse themselves equably in contrasting rinses of black or white. (NYT)
- Separate sperm and egg are not human life. Left to own devices, no baby will be born.
- What happens when 40 million women are left to their devices? A lot.
- We are citizens left to our devices