인생을 살면서 안간힘을 쓴 적, 난리쳐본 적 , 오바한 적, 또는 쇼한 적이 있는가?
- 무언가 간절히 원해서 (예: 콘서트 티켓을 사기위해 인터넷 창 15개 열어놓고 새로고침을 누르는 자신을 발견함)
- 누군가를 기쁘게 하기위해서 (예: 좋아하는 사람이 원하는 선물을 사려고 백화점 10개 이상 돌아다님)
- 살아남기위해서 (예: 이번 쿼터에 취직못하면 비자가 만료되는 상황이라 150개의 회사에 지원함)
이렇게 “난리치는, 오바하는, 쇼하는, 안간힘쓰는” 의 느낌을 하나로 묶는 아주 재미있는 표현이 있다.
I had to jump through hoops to get you this, man..
jump through hoops
go through hoops
- [Definition] 1) to do a lot of difficult things before you are allowed to have or do something you want. 2) To put forth effort for the sake of appearance or demonstration.
Image source: Giphy
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- We jump through hoops to make sure that Bolt believes everything is real. It’s why we don’t miss marks. It’s why we don’t reshoot, and it’s why we most certainly do not let the dog see boom mikes! (Bolt)
- You know, she’s not jumping through hoops, but it’s the best thing by far. By far and away, the best thing. I mean, she knows that. (Sliding Doors)
- It’s great, ’cause Lawson’s in there jumping through hoops trying to make the deal work. (Strange Wilderness)
- I’m not gonna jump through hoops tonight just because of this… (Talk Radio)
- I jumped through hoops to get into this group. I had to be recommended, then I had to get to know you guys. Now Alan thinks he can waltz right in because he’s my little brother? It’s not fair. (Two and a Half Men)
- We jump through hoops for our customers — at least, for some of our best customers. (Bloomberg)
- And unlike cable TV subscribers, Internet users need not jump through hoops to get the service. (NYT)
- Students are expected to jump through hoops (for what they’re worth) to ensure their English is up to scratch. (Economist)
제목: “자네가 우리 회사에서 성공하는 방법”
Image source: http://audiencemetrix.com/
- If you gotta go through hoops to make sure your man remains faithful, then maybe you should reconsider that relationship.
- “I’ve never been one to jump through hoops for anyone.” — Robert Carlyle #bornonthisday
- trolls don’t want a debate, they want you to jump through hoops for funsies. but even if they wanted one, they wouldn’t be owed one.(Albert : for funsiesneun To do something for the fun of it ddeusibnida)
1. jump through hoopS에서 S를 까먹지 말자
2. go to great lengths to VERB 와 “안간힘을 쓰다”라는 느낌에서 비슷하나, jump though hoops는 좀 더 “쇼하다”의 뉘앙스가 있다.
즉 go to great lengths to VERB에서는 묵묵히 마라톤을 하는 사람을 연상시킨다면 , jump though hoops에서는 폴짝폴짝 뛰는 서커스호랑이를 연상시킨다.
정리해서 말해 jump though hoops는 안타까움을 자아내는 효과가 있다.