사람들을 보면, 어떤 한 분야를 깊게 파는 사람이 있는가하면 또 여러 분야에 관심이 많아 이것저것 다 할줄 아는 사람들이 있다.
두번째 부류의 사람들을 한국어로는 “재주꾼”이라고 하는데, 영어로는 뭐라고 할까?
jack of all trades
- [ Definition] who can do several different jobs instead of specializing in one.
이 표현은 원래 칭찬용으로 쓰이는데, 뒤에 “master of none”이란 표현이 붙으면,
- jack of all trades, “master of none“
“많은 것을 할 줄 알지만, 한 분야에서 전문가는 아닌”..즉 무엇하나 깊게 아는 게 없다는것을 한탄하거나/비꼬는 용으로 사용되기도 한다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Yeah, I have various responsibilities within the crew, you know. I’m kind of a jack-of-all-trades, really. (Hot Rod)
- A: What do you do for a living? B:Lots of things. Anything that comes to hand. Well, mostly. Jack of all trades. (Kung Fu)
- I’m kind of a Jack-of-all-trades. WOMAN: Hey, help me fix this gash. (Family Guy)
- He’s our caretaker and handyman, and jack of all trades, really, aren’t you? You’re responsible for everything, are you? (Derek)
- Well, you been dabbling- lawyer, wannabe Fed, jack-of-all-trades, master of none. (NCIS)
- William Oliver was a housecleaner, a gardener, a patient uncle and a reliable jack-of-all-trades. (NYT)
- I was a jack-of-all-trades, until someone approached me and asked if I wanted to do a restaurant. (NYT)
- In recent years the mobile phone has turned into an electronic jack-of-all-trades, the remote control for everyday life… (Economist)
- I will never understand these jack of all trades who aren’t good at jack.
- Don’t be a jack of all trades & master of none ? How to tame your social media monster
- Are you a specialist or a generalist? Here’ a blog post about the best Reasons to Be a Jack of All Trades
jack of all “trades”에서 trades의 의미는 tricks of the trade 에서 trade와 같은 의미로 “노하우/스킬” 등을 뜻한다.