image source: Sandy’s Blog
미국 사람들은 in a nutshell이라는 말을 참 많이 쓴다. 무슨 뜻일까? “In a nutshell, ‘in a nutshell’ means ‘simply put’” “(견과류 껍질안에 넣을 수 있을만큼) 축약해서”…라는 뜻이다.
- in the fewest possible words.
- In summary; briefly or simply.
- Ted, in a nutshell, all you have to do is hold the fort. (Four Rooms)
- Give us your whole basic philosophy in a nutshell. (Ghost World)
- Look, our situation in a nutshell is, no prison wants ‘em, no prison will take ’em (Natural Born Killers)
- In a nutshell, I hate my brother. (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off )
- In a nutshell, St. Bernard’s may punish you even for the slightest digression, but will never cast you out, even for the largest. (Detroit Rock City)
- Apple’s iPhone Launch in a Nutshell (Bloomberg)
- The book’s argument in a nutshell is this: Capitalism has a natural drift toward high inequality, as assets like real estate and stocks disproportionately held by the wealthy (capital) rise faster than the economy (growth). (NYT)
- This is the first 3 months of parenthood in a nutshell.
- of gifted kids for a long time is replacement and here’s replacement in a nutshell. You,
- So in a nutshell,
- So that’s the breathing loop in a nutshell.
- But if I had to put it in a nutshell these days,
- So in a nutshell, that’s the challenge
- Our plan, in a nutshell,
- In a nutshell, a Siftable is an interactive computer
- So, in a nutshell, what we had in traditional Africa
- And this, in a nutshell, is the essence of the Higgs story.
- In a nutshell, you can think of physics as follows.
- In a nutshell,
- In a nutshell, that’s what I was trying to do
- What the model told us is that, in a nutshell,
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
- Frequency? A LOT
1750년 이후부터 점점 쓰이기 시작한 것을 확인할 수 있다. image source: Google Ngram
- “A” nutshell 인것을 까먹지 말자
- In the nutshell, (X)
- In a nutshell, you are dumb (O)