인생에 살면서 큰 프로젝트를 수행해야할 때가 많다.
피와 땀이 소모될 것이 뻔히 보이는 그런 프로젝트를 눈앞에 두고 있을 때가 많은데
- 결혼 준비를 한다거나
- 35장 파이널 에세이를 써야한다거나
- 누구를 구출하는 미션을 수행하거나
- 투자자나 클라이언트를 감동시켜야할 임무가 있거나
- 5년간 다룰 박사과정이라던가
이럴 때 이런 상황을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
have one’s work cut out for one
[Definition] To face a large task or project.
- If he plans to translate all the idioms, he has his work cut out for him.
- No time to talk. Bucket Brigade starts in five. We got our work cut out for us.
- And I can’t, as of yet, account for the blue color but If that is our competition we have our work cut out for us so to speak. (Breaking Bad )
- Looks like Earl’s got his work cut out for him. (Batman)
- Lucy, we’ve got our work cut out for us. (Dracula)
- They have their work cut out for them. That’s what they’re paid for. (Murder By Numbers)
- If she is to impress her countrymen, Park Geun-hye has her work cut out for her (Economist)
- Managers trying to integrate newly acquired companies and divisions have their work cut out for them (NYT)
- In all, the younger Mr Lee has his work cut out for him. Samsung-watchers wonder if he has it in him… (Economist)