이 표현은 추윤석님께서 추천해주셨습니다. 감사합니다.
두뇌는 복잡한 것을 아주 싫어하는데, 그래서 그런지 가지런히 꽂혀있는 책들, 알차게 짜여져있는 스케줄, 짜임새있게 구성된 프로젝트 등을 보면 기분이 좋다. 다루기 쉽게 organized 되어있기 때문이다. 이렇게 organized된 상태 또는 여기까지 가려고 하는 노력을 묘사하는 재미난 표현이 있는데… “Let us get our ducks in a row and get back to you.”
- To be organized; to have one’s affairs in order; specifically, to have a multi-person effort coordinated towards the exact same goal.
- Complete one’s preparations, become efficient and well organised.
- 이 표현이 실제로 쓰인 사례 : “client랑 conference call하다가 client가 뭘 부탁/요구했는데, 우리가 좀 연구해보고 정리 좀하고 알려주겠다고 전할 때” ( example provided by 추윤석님)
- 예전에 다룬 이디엄 get one’s act together 와 느낌이 약간 비슷하다. 그러나 get your ducks in a row가 어감이 좀 더 polite한 편.
- ducks in a row 앞에 have나 get 둘 다 쓸 수 있다. 즉 have one’s ducks in a row / get one’s ducks in a row 둘다 맞다.
- A: You need to get your ducks in a row before we get to the restaurant. What do you mean? B: Well, if this little girl’s important to you, it’d behoove you to have a plan. (Two and a Half Men)
- She’s been running around like crazy, saying she need to get her ducks in a row…(The Vampire Diaries)
- So, again, get all of your academic and extracurricular ducks in a row. Leave nothing to chance. (The Sopranos)
- Between all the packing, errands, getting the ducks in a row maybe a week or two. (Breaking Bad)
- I’m listening. - But first I want you to get all your emotional ducks in a row. Now, stop me if I’m wrong, but when Dr. Kramer did this to you it was an accident, right? (Point Pleasant)
- “…you should expect all our competitors - including China UnionPay – will get their ducks in a row,” Hund-Mejean said in a phone interview. (Bloomberg)
- Getting one’s ducks in a row, he said, “is generally speaking a good thing for applicants to do before they submit plans to us.” (NYT)
- TYLER COWEN, in a New York Times op-ed yesterday, was pretty pessimistic about America’s chances of getting its fiscal ducks in a row. (Economist)
- I have a student teacher and may need to work with her in the morning to make sure she has all her ducks in a row.
- In my first class: My prof says “I have to keep my ducks in a row” ?? NO
- Make sure you have your ducks in a row before seeking an #acting agent!
- Why do they do that? Why do old ladies go to those hair shops, and make those helmets? Bright as a button. All the ducks in a row. Looks like a much prettier version of Margaret Thatcher,
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? Yes.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No.
- Frequency? 다른분야보다 상대적으로 대화체(SPOKEN)에서 자주 쓰이는 것을 볼 수 있다.
1970년 이후에 유행한 표현이다. image source: Google Ngram
- 오리는 한마리가 아니다!
- have my duck in a row (X)
- have my duckS in a row (O)
- in a row 는 “한줄로” 라는 관용어다. 그냥 외워버리자
- have my ducks in the ow (X)
- have my ducks in a row (O)
- 소유격을 까먹지 말자. 누구 오리냐고?
- have ducks in a row (X)
- have my ducks in a row (O)