에필로그 섹션이 추가되었습니다! DET motivation 부터 mistakes가지가 풀코스 브런치라고 치면, epilogue 섹션은 디저트라고 생각하시면 됩니다~ ^^ 감사합니다. 오늘 하루도 화이팅하세요! Albert 드림
요즘 사람들과 이야기하다보면, 생각보다 자주 등장하는 대화 패턴이 있다.“하시는 일은 어때요?” “뭐 그냥, 별거 없어. 대충 하루 하루 사는거지 뭐“ 이런 이야기를 들으면 뭔가 슬퍼진다.. “I feel like I am just going through the motions these days.”
- To go through your everyday life in a mechanical manner, as in waking up, going to work, getting back home, watching TV, going to sleep, repeat.
- The only thing worse than just going through the motions is not bothering to go through the motions. (Desperate Housewives)
- A:What’s this about? B:Um, I guess professionalism. At least going through the motions of doing the job and pretending it matters. (Party Down)
- The tired waitress, taking orders. the busboys going through the motions, collecting dishes. the manager complaining to the cook about something. (Pulp Fiction)
- Wall-E simply going through the motions. No spirit in him at all. Stops. Pulls out the Zippo lighter. Flicks it a few times (Wall-E)
- LETTY: We can’t just keep going through the motions. PAUL: Exactly. It’s time to make decisions. (Crazylove)
- It also increased the number of unemployed in name only — those who go through the motions of job seeking to collect unemployment benefits, but who would have left the labor force absent the extension. (Bloomberg)
- Among the orders: “Avoid going through the motions”. (Economist)
- No team managed by Gene Mauch has ever gone through the motions. (NYT)
- “You can’t just go through the motions on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and then turn it up on Sunday. Doesn’t work that way,” - Dan Campbell
- I feel like I’m just going through the motions every day
- When you wanna just relax & be left alone, but there’s so much going on in your life that you have no choice but to go through the motions:/
- I found myself in a state of constant creation, thinking only of what’s next and coming up with more ideas than ever. When I think back to my three years away from art, away from my dream, just going through the motions, instead of trying to find a different way to continue that dream, I just quit, I gave up.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
20세기 들어서 많이 쓰는 표현이다. image source: Google Ngram
은근 실수하기 쉬운 이디엄이니 조심하자! 1. 관사 the를 까먹지 말자. - Avoid going through motions (X) - Avoid going through THE motions (O) 2. motion를 복수로 써야한다! motionSSSSSSS - I am just going through the motion (X) - I am just going through the motionS (O)
Going through the motions은 정말 심각한 현대인의 질병이다. 아니, 반복적인 일상을 사는 것 자체는 나쁜 것이 아닌데, 보통 그것에 관한 태도나 접근방법이 정신건강에 해로울 때가 많다. 그렇다면 이 질병은 어떻게 치료할수 있을까? 그 유명한 David Foster Wallace의 스피치 “This is water”에 답이 있다. Select quotes:
- significant education in thinking that we’re supposed to get in a place like this isn’t really about the capacity to think, but rather about the choice of what to think about.
- the exact same experience can mean two totally different things to two different people, given those people’s two different belief templates and two different ways of constructing meaning from experience.
- As I’m sure you guys know by now, it is extremely difficult to stay alert and attentive, instead of getting hypnotised by the constant monologue inside your own head (may be happening right now)
- learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience. Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed
- if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.
- Because here’s something else that’s weird but true: in the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship.
- The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day.
- It is unimaginably hard to do this, to stay conscious and alive in the adult world day in and day out.