어제는 so ADJ as to VERB를 다뤘는데
오늘은 구조는 비슷하지만 다른의미로 쓰이는 표현을 다루겠다.
보통 이런 상황에서 쓰인다.
영희: 소개팅 어땠어? 그 남자 완전 착해?
수진: 흠…착한 것까지는 모르겠고 매너는 있더라.
- I wouldn’t go so far as to call him nice, but he treated me pretty decent. (True Romance)
go so far as to VERB
- [Definition] to be extreme in talking about or doing something
[Comment] 보통 wouldn’t 와 자주 사용되나, 긍정으로 할 표현할 경우 “~까지 하다”의 의미로 쓰인다.
- I will call it X
가 ”나는 그것을 X라고 부르겠어” 라고 한다면,
- I would go so far as to call it X
는 “ (구지 그렇게까지 안해도되는데, 또 한편으로는 오바하는 것처럼 보일 수 있어도 ) 나는 그것을 X라고 부르겠어” 의 뉘앙스를 띄고 있다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- My good fellow, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a Windsday, just a gentle spring zephyr. (Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh)
- In fact I would even go so far as to say it’s one of the finest, most beautiful things ever created by an American. (Lulu On The Bridge)
- I’m not gonna go so far as to say that I represent a distinct new stage in humankind- you know, a homo novus, if you will. (Big Bang Theory)
- He loved knowing other people’s secrets. I just never thought he’d go so far as to profit from it. (The Lone Gunmen)
- I have become one of the people who are not asleep but I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself “awake.”
- “Russian president could go so far as to offer Greece the financial support”
- I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the new Terrence Malick film looks good, but the trailer is an absolute joy
- Russia did not go so far as to condemn him as a Nazi sympathizer, its main taint against a raft of Kiev politicians. (NYT)
- Some athletes even go so far as to bring their charity work onto the playing field. (Bloomberg)
- I’d go so far as to say that the food and the wine transported us into a world of gentleness and balance, of grace and harmony. (NYT)