image source: blackberrycool.com/
가끔은 너무 신이나서 열광할 때가 있다.
- 아침에 가족을 위해 팬케익을 만드는데 너무 잘 만들어져서 30판 이상 구울 때. 가족은 4명인데…
- 이두박근 운동에 재미들려 너무 이두박근 운동만 하다가 근육이 이상한 모양으로 나올 때.
- 클라이언트 감동시키겠다고 5분짜리 파워포인트에 일주일걸려 화려한 에니메이션을 만들 때
- 이성친구 감동시키겠다고, 내 월급보다 3배 비싼 선물을 사줄 때
- 딱 한잔만 하자고 했는데, 여섯병 째 와인의 코르크를 딸 때..
- to do too much; to be extravagant
- to fall out of a boat or off of a ship; to fall overboard.
go overboard는 원래 배에서 떨어지다라른 뜻으로 뱃사람들이 쓰던 말이다.
너무 신나서 열광적으로 난리치다가 배에서 떨어지는 장면을 연상시켜보라.
- This may be going overboard, but I baked him a cake! (Zero Dark Thirty)
- I told you they were going overboard and they did… (Wild Things)
- I hope I’m not going overboard, but you wasted years on someone who wasn’t all that. (Ginger And Cinnamon)
- Promise me you won’t go overboard. (Ghost Whisperer)
- He goes overboard with the steak itself, subjecting it to a bullying sauce of veal stock, caramelized onions, mustard and more. (NYT)
- Only get what you need, and don’t go overboard. I went overboard. (Bloomberg)
- Sometimes media just goes overboard in looking for symbolic gestures.This was just one of those incidents. (Economist)
- weirds me out when ppl go so overboard talking about how they’re a good person..if u truly have good intentions ur not usually announcing it
- I still think that they went a bit overboard with those lights
- Kim K was the sexiest woman on the planet until she went overboard with the plastic surgeries.
- And I kind of went overboard
- like people go a little overboard
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No
- Can I use it in a email? Yes
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes