Why should you pay attention to DailyEnglishTip?
go a long way
- [Definition] 1) To be adequate or helpful for a significant amount of time 2) To achieve considerable success.
1. 재미있는 표현이다.
- “도움이 되는것 + go a long way” 라고 쓸 수도 있고(a smile can go a long way)
- “행동을 취하는 사람 + go a long way with + 도움이 되는것 “라고 쓸 수도 있다.( you can go a long way with a smile)
2. “VERB를 하는데 도움이 된다” 를 표현하려면,
“go a long way toward VERB” 으로 쓸수 있다
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- With a little study you’ll go a long way (Monkey Business)
- A little charity would go a long way, yes it would, sir. (Sherlock Holmes)
- The Beach Boys, baby, a brand new group. I predict they gonna go a long way. (American Graffiti)
- A little compassion would go a long way… (Battle: Los Angeles )
- That’s gonna go a long way to making you the rich prick that you want to be. (The Sopranos)
- The enthusiasm for new deals can go a long way, at least in the short term. (Economist)
- Carson says the outcome of those midterm elections will go a long way to determining whether he gives the operation the green light. (Bloomberg)
- It’s an intriguing idea that could go a long way toward making parents and children breathe easier. (NYT)
- Really, an intro to inductive logic and philosophy of science would go a long way for some here on Twitter.
- Look, the Spurs will probably settle into the 5,6,7 hole. They’ll either go a long way or lose early. And then we’ll all go on vacation.
- Little acts of kindness can go a long way