image source: http://daysgoneby.me/
한국어에는 ‘누구를 무시한다’라는 뜻으로 ‘쌩까다‘라는 속어가 있다.
비슷한 느낌을 영어로는 어떻게 표현할까?
친구: (잘나가던) 소개팅녀가 답장을 안하는게 …이해가 안가네
give someone the cold shoulder
[Definition] ignore someone deliberately; to behave towards someone in a way that is not at all friendly, sometimes for reasons that this person does not understand
- What have I done to him? He gave me the cold shoulder the whole evening at the party.
무시를 당하는 입장에서는 “get the cold shoulder”라고 할 수 있겠다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- He’s been getting the cold shoulder from cops since he testified about Pearl Street Bridge.
- She gives him the cold shoulder. Refuses to speak to him. Wall-E shrinks. (Wall-E)
- Curtis stares at Samantha, but she’s still giving him the cold shoulder. (Take Shelter)
- Givin’ him the cold shoulder. Poor little guy. There he goes, without a friend in the world. Nobody to turn to. (Dumbo)
- Sir, you’re giving old One-Eye the cold shoulder? (Warriors Of Heaven And Earth)
- Now it’s French exchange students who are getting the cold shoulder from American families… (NYT)
- Ultimately, whatever Clinton decides to do about global warming, he’s likely to get the cold shoulder. (Bloomberg)
- Last semester I would routinely reach out to my classmates for help with finance, and I was never met with a cold shoulder. (Bloomberg)
- Omg I just LOVE getting the cold shoulder. Ugh love it so much
- had a cold shoulder..now my attitude is frozen drops mic
- Here’s why @Uber and @Etsy are giving traditional marketing the cold shoulder