바닷물에 발을 담글때의 느낌을 상상해보라…
우리는 이 프로세스를 아주 천.천.히 한다. 왜?
엄청 차가울수도 있고, 또 뜨거울수도 있고, 막 들어갔다간 심장마비 걸릴 수도 있기때문이다.
이처럼 우리는 무엇이든 처음할때는(특히 한번도 경험하지 않은 것은) 천천히 조심스럽게 하는데, 이런 현상을 나타내는 영어 표현이있다.
한국어로 대응하는 표현이 없기 때문에, 그냥 느낌 자체로 이해해야한다.
get one’s feet wet
- [Definition] to get a little first-time experience with something.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- You need to get your feet wet. Get some clinical experience under your belt. (Northern Exposure)
- Yeah, a little bread and butter crime’ll be the perfect thing to get your feet wet. (CSI)
- He’ll help you get your feet wet. (Forever Knigh)
- Just kind of getting my feet wet with different things. (Welcome To Sweden)
- I’m just getting my feet wet trying to catch up. (No Way Out)
- We got our feet wet at the start, crossing Terlingua Creek, a Rio Grande tributary, then hiked uphill and down into the canyon itself. (NYT)
- “I’m excited she’s getting her feet wet,” Dragila said. “This is a great opportunity for her to see what the professional side is all about.” (NYT)
- “It was for people who just want to get their feet wet with volunteering”, she said. (NYT)
- just enough to get my feet wet but not enough to let me drown.
- My first writing job was reviewing foot spas for a website. I was just getting my feet wet.
- Coding is like an ocean. Learning HTML & CSS is a great way to get your feet wet.