인생을 살면서 뭔가 하기로 했다가 마음이 변하는 경우를 종종 본다.
- 계약하자고 말 다 해놨는데, 갑자기 막판에 뺀다거나
- 여행가자고 했는데 갑자기 못가겠다고 하거나
- 결혼식 바로 전에 뛰쳐나가거나…
이런 상황을 저지른 사람에 대해 어떻게 말을 할 수 있을까?.
He/she got scared/frightened …?
라고 말할수 있겠지만, 이런 상황(하기로 했다가 마음이 변한) 이 워낙 “자주” 일어나니 이것을 상황을 표현하는 숙어가 따로 있는데…
He got cold feet at the last moment and decided not to do it..
get cold feet
- to get nervous and change your mind.
- to suddenly become too frightened to do something you had planned to do, especially something important like getting married
- “I apologize, this week is my fault. i was getting cold feet about presenting because of time constraints and a challenging topic — i want to do a decent job”
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- It’s just cold feet, isn’t it? Everyone panics before they get married (Sleepless in Seattle)
- Annie, make sure when my fiance gets cold feet you tell her what a great guy I am. (Bridesmaids)
- JACK (studying him): You’re getting cold feet about this. FRANK: I was just thinking what Ma would think (Fabulous Baker)
- Garcia got cold feet and dropped the whole thing. (187 Script)
- AMBASSADOR (Ignoring this) And then, to crown it all, you get cold feet and come running along here to hide — and bring the child with you. (Man Who Knew Too Much)
I think I’m getting cold feet…
- A growing number of state and local officials are getting cold feet about electronic voting technology (NYT)
- As spring arrives, soccer’s contenders get cold feet (NYT)
- The big airlines get cold feet (Economist)
- Yet they are not the only ones to have developed cold feet. (Ecnomist)
- I always get cold feet . I’m getting too old for commitment problems.
- I knew she was the one. So I wrote her many poems. But then…cold feet. I tore the poems to bits. I am not ready. I need to sew my odes.
- Investors get cold feet on US biotech shares