인생을 살다보면 감정적으로 너무 벅차올라 눈물을 멈출 수 없을 때가 있다.
- 승리를 하기까지 그동안 너무 힘들었던 기억이 떠올라서..
- 듣고 있던 노래에서 예전 생각이 너무 날 때. 그리고 나도 모르게 슬퍼질 때
- 누군가의 이야기를 듣다가 측은해져서…
- to cause someone to feel like starting to cry.
- to have difficulty speaking because you feel great emotion.
The speaker chokes up 또는 The speaker (gets/is) choked up 의 두 형태로 쓸 수 있다.
에세이나 뉴스 같은데서는 전자의 형태로, 대화체에서는 후자의 형태로 더 많이 쓰인다. “흑흑흑흑 …”
- If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you I will get very choked up. (Serenity)
- Holy crap, that’s beautiful. -I’m choked up (The Majestic)
- I’m a little choked up here. I gotta get some air. (Analyze This)
- I don’t know what to say, Al. I’m all choked up. (Twins)
- He crouches down and looks at her, getting choked up… (Change-Up)
- She then became choked up and told the judge she lived in Dorchester, the same Boston neighborhood where 8-year-old Martin Richard lived. (NYT)
- The California Republican, who is finishing up as chairman of the Armed Services Committee before retirement, choked up as he acknowledged his staff and family. (Bloomberg)
- He still choked up recounting it seventy years later (Economist)
- @jimmykimmel gets choked up while shaming #CecilTheLion’s killer.
- Shane Victorino gets choked up saying goodbye to Boston after being traded to Angels
- Its crazy how choked up I get whenever I’m talking about you
- little bit choked up, because that is why I am still here
- And we sort of all choked up in the back of the taxi,
- I couldn’t even speak I was so choked up.
- And I’m going to get choked up, because this is my first pet,
- And I’ll probably get choked up, because I tend to when I talk about this.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in a email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No.
- Frequency? A LOT.