우리는 살면서 무언가를 이루는데 있어 디테일또는 절차의 늪에 빠져서 앞으로 전진하지 못할 때가 있다.
- 결혼? ”내가 지금 결혼을 할 처지가 못 되. 이것도 해야되고, 저것도 해야되고, 그것도 해야되고…..”
- 프로젝트? “그거 하려면 허가도 받아야되고….프로그래머도 고용해야할 것같고… 이것도 사야되고”
- 운동? “gym pass도 끊어야 하고, 프로틴도 사야하고, 운동복은 종류가 왜 이렇게 또 많아….. 또..또..”
마치 진흙탕에 빠진 포크레인처럼 말이다.
이런 상황을 어떻게 표현할까?
- All these details are slowing me down!
이라고 말할 수 있지만, slow down 보다 좀 더 역동적이고 비주얼적으로 표현할 수 있는 방법이 있으니…
bogged down in something
- [Definition] to become encumbered and slow. (As if one were walking through a bog and getting stuck in the mud. Often preceded by a form of get.)
bog는 늪지를 뜻하는데 bog down는 그것을 동사화한 것이다. 보통 수동태형 (be bogged down)또는 (get bogged down) 으로 자주 쓰인다.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- I have the Senate bogged down in procedures. By the time this incident comes up for a vote, they will have no choice but to accept your control of the system. (Star Wars: The Phantom Menace)
- But let’s not get bogged down in semantics. (The Simpsons)
- Some say the political system is bogged down by ideological hard-liners - unwilling to compromise. – Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. (Modern Family)
- You’re getting bogged down in specifics. I need you to just say vague, confident-sounding buzzwords, like “synergy” and “dynamism”. (How I met your mother)
- I couldn’t agree with you more, especially that part about the sun. We get bogged down in our daily troubles and we forget about the simple things. (Talk Radio)
- And, he says, Wallace has helpful advice for those of us bogged down by tax season. (Bloomberg)
- Without getting bogged down in strained metaphors about practising medicine, the authors tell the story of a fast-food chain that wanted to know which customers bought its milkshakes, when and why. (Economist)
- Don’t get bogged down w/all the errands. Take time to breath! Spring is here
- I get so bogged down by the idiots and haters I forget that there are good, kind, decent people on Twitter. I’m sorry I don’t say that more.
- do you ever get super bogged down by the stresses of having to deal with real life?