어떤 사람이 의견이나 제안을 냈을 때
캐주얼하게 “동의”나 “지지”하는 것을 어떻게 표현할까?
get behind something
[Definition] 1) Support someone or something; also, help to promote someone or something. 2) Enjoy, appreciate
- We must find as many workers as we can to get behind the union.
- Norma just can’t get behind ballet.
- She claims the publishers never really got behind her new book.
이 표현은 “뒤에서 밀어주는, 그래서 도움이 되는” 형상에서 유래되었다.
보통 “I agree with you” 또는 “ I support what you are saying”의 의미로
“I can get behind that”를 많이 쓰는데
뉘앙스는 딱 이런 느낌이다 (표정참고)
네 말에 동의해. 잘알겠어. 굳. I can get behind that
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- I mean maybe if you change that M in million to a Z I could get behind it. (Two For The Money)
- I know what you mean. I picture him doing something stupid like hiring a mariachi band or something. Well, actually, I could get behind that (House)
- I can get behind that. A dumb cop who’s pretty is better than a dumb cop (The Mentalist )
- Wait a minute. I can’t get behind that really. (Nine Lives Of Fritz)
- I really want us to get behind this one. (Life of David Gale)
I can’t get behind that는..“받아들일 수 없어/지지할 수 없어 ” 로 볼 수 있다.
- If you’re a restaurant and you feel like you should get yourname.restaurant, yeah, I can get behind that,” Baer says, noting that his company is considering buying a .marketing URL. (Bloomberg)
- If you say that big data has privacy concerns I can get behind that. But if you say big data is nonsense,well just keep saying that. (Economist)
- one’s actual self is something almost anyone can get behind. (NYT)
- I thought, glancing through the brochures, I could get behind that. (NYT)