살다보면 대화를 테니스가 아닌 스쿼시로 대하는 생각하는 사람들을 만나게된다.
즉 “그사람이 너무 신나게 떠뜰어서”, 내 자신은 한마디도 말을 못할때가 있다.
이런 frustration을 어떻게 표현할까?
- I didn’t speak at all … ?
- I didn’t say a word(a thing) … ?
- I didn’t say much … ?
- He didn’t let me speak at all … ?
위의 표현들은 “나는 거의 아무말도 안했어” 또는 “나는 아무말 못했어” 라는 의미는 자체는 표현 하지만, 정확히 우리가 원하는 뉘앙스가 아니다.
1,2,3번 같은경우는 내가 “말하기 하기 싫어서” 대화안했다가 더 가깝고,
4번같은경우는 뉘앙스가 맞긴하지만, 왠지 그 남자를 직접적으로 공격하는것같다.
우리가 원하는 표현은
- 대화하는사람이 너무 신나게떠들거나 / 막 화를 내대서
- 한마디도 못했어
(not) get a word in edgewise
Join a conversation in which another is speaking continually and leaving little opportunity for others.
- Harold talked so much that nobody else could get a word in edgewise.
- (다른 사람이 말을 너무 많이 하여) 말을 꺼낼 기회를 (못) 잡다
[From Movies & TV shows]
- I’ll bet ol’ Krushchev never got a word in edgewise. (Salton Sea)
- Mrs. Pembroke has been standing by, waiting to get a word in edgewise. (American Madness)
- As you could hear, I couldn’t get a word in edgewise. Mr Heatherton is boiling mad (Vampire)
- How can you get there if you talk so fast they can’t get a word in edgewise? (Keeping up with the steins)
- With him around, l can’t even get a bite in edgewise. (Scooby-Doo)
- LET ME GET A WORD IN EDGEWISE, HONEY. NO, I DIDN’T- HUNG UP ON YOU? SHE USED TO BE. DAMN, MAN. (Cheers)
I couldn’t get a word in edgewise because he talked too much
- I barely got three words in edgewise for the last 15 minutes. (theonion)
- And remember, these are all points that Romney got in edgewise on a debate that was supposed to be about foreign policy. (Ecnomist)
- Although maybe the author was just testing himself to see how many puns he could getin edgewise to purposefully annoy the reader ( Ecnomist)
- This girl hasn’t gotten a word in edgewise. Will she punch him? Will she yell? Will she get up quietly and leave? stay tuned
- Love this conversations I get 10 words in edgewise
- I’m on the phone with my lawyer and my wife and Ican’t get a word in edgewise. An when I do, I’m not listened to. Mad frustrating.