오늘은 영어”표현”팁이라기보다는 “개념” 팁에 가깝다.
살다보면 가끔씩 말이 헛나올 때가 있고, 그 말 실수때문에 난처해질 때가 있다.
정신분석의 대가 지그문트 프로이트는 이런 현상을 “억압된 무의식이 의식에 개입하여 발생하는 것”이라고 설명했는데… 이런 경우를 그의 이름을 따서 Freudian slip (발음: FROY-DI-AN SLIP; 발음듣기) 이라고 한다.
난데없이 심리학용어를 설명하느냐고 의문가질 수도 있겠지만 , 은근 미국문화에서 엄청 자주 쓰인다.
- [Definition] an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of an unconscious (“dynamically repressed”) subdued wish, conflict, or train of thought guided by the ego and the rules of correct behaviour.
- 한국어로는 “착행증”이라고도 한다.
이 현상을 가장 효과적으로 이해하기위해선 직접보는 것이다.
Title: Hilarious Freudian Slip Ups!!
무엇보다도 가장 처음나오는 클립은 미국 역사상 가장 웃긴 Freudian Slip으로 일컬어진다.
- I made a Freudian slip yesterday. I meant to ask my wife to pass the butter… but instead I said, “You bitch! You’ve ruined my life!” (Poolhall Junkies)
- Keepin’ it goin’ was your idea, not mine. Women have such convenient memories when they’re pregnant. Now take that back. All right, that was a Freudian slip. (Junior)
- One of my patients had a Freudian slip. He was with his wife and meant to say, “Pass the salt. ” lnstead he said, “You’ve ruined my life, you blood-sucking shrew.” (Frasier)
- Freudian slip of the day was when I said I wanted to “decompose” but meant “decompress”
- Freudian Slip: When the unconscious speaks in tongues.
- John Idzik committed a bit of a Freudian slip Monday while mentioning how many challenges Geno Smith has confronted during the last nine months ? er, nine games. (NYT)
- The quoted “unbelievably backward cultures in Africa” is a Freudian slip of the subconscious expressing a collective identity’s superiority from the other. (Economist)
- Prochnik wonders whether the gesture was intentional or a Freudian slip. (NYT)