우리는 살면서 이런 상황에 빠진다 .
- 말을 하는 나에게는 “사실”이지만, 상대방이 어떻게 받아들일 지 모를 때 : “제가 하는 말이 도움이 될 지는 모르겠지만/어떻게 받아들이실 줄은 모르겠지만”
- 겸손하게 의견을 피력할 때: “제가 지금 하려는 말이 참인지 거짓인지는 확실하진 않지만, 제가 아는 바로는…”
이럴 때 쓰기 좋은 표현이 있다.
for what it’s worth
- [Definition] “For what it’s worth” is useful to emphasize humility by prompting the reader to provide their judgment of worth against the statement being made; i.e., it may be useful information, it may not be, or perhaps differs in opinion from that of the recipients.
상대방 입에서 “안 물어봤거든?” 또는 “100%확신해???” 라는 말이 나오는 것 방지하기 위해 쓰는 표현이라고 생각해도 된다.
- Look, I… I heard about what happened to your woman. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry (X-Men Origins)
- For what it’s worth, I think you’re amazing (Remember Me)
- For what it’s worth, I think you’re a great captain. (Mulan)
- But, for what it’s worth...I love you, too. (Back-up Plan)
- Well, for what it’s worth, it’s difficult to learn an instrument at your age. Especially if you don’t possess a natural gift for it. I’m not saying this to be mean. (Visitor)
- Perry said he was not sure, but for what it’s worth, he would still eliminate some federal departments if he becomes president. (NYT)
- For what it’s worth, no developed country is significantly dependent on agricultural exports or imports (Economist)
- For what it’s worth, the data is upbeat, Mr. Hickey said, with positive returns but less volatility than in elections during presidential first terms (NYT)
- For what it’s worth, a big majority of Americans think so: 64 percent of respondents to a CBS poll last month said they believed that Mr. Obama … (NYT)
- “For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. ” – Eric Roth
- So for what it’s worth: I loved Wolf Of Wall Street as well. Scorcese films at their best are funnier than any alleged comedy you could name
- I am in a super sentimental mood right now and I wanted to tell you I love you all. It may not mean much, but take it for what it’s worth.
- It is plain now that my life, for what it is worth, is finished, and that nothing I can do can perceptively increase or diminish its value (A Mathematician’s Apology)
- I’ll take that for what it’s worth.
- And there was this giant question mark. I love the design, for what it’s worth,
- probably the entire planet, for what it’s worth.
- For what it’s worth, we went to Sagres,
- For what it’s worth, Sir Isaac Newton, the greatest scientist who ever lived,
- something for what it’s worth,
- My guess is, for what it’s worth,
- and I put the suggestion up — for what it’s worth.
- The good news, for what it’s worth,
이 표현은 워낙 자주 사용되서
FWIW 로 줄여쓰기도 한다.
- I don’t have any special insight, but FWIW, here’s mine