- 밥은 뭐 해먹어요? “주로” 사먹어요
- 하시는 연구는 어때요? “대체로” 삽질에 가깝죠.
- 영화는 어땠어요? “전반적으로” 괜찮았던 것 같아
여기서 “주로, 대체로, 전반적으로 ”를 어떻게 표현할까? “in general” , “mostly”는 조금 딱딱하다
이런 상황에서 미국사람들이 회화에서 엄청 자주 쓰는 표현이 있는데..
for the most part
- [Definition] To the greater extent; generally or mostly.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- For the most part I distrust dogs. (Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me)
- It’s not making sense to me anymore. The market always made sense to me and for the most part… I was better than it… quicker than it. (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps)
- Tannen, were you and your wife close? MARTIN No…we led, for the most part, separate lives. We had decided to stay together for Mini. (Mini’s First Time)
- For the most part the guests are Americans and south Vietnamese. (Deer Hunter)
- They appear poor but, for the most part, physically normal. (Gattaca)
- Avengers Age of Ultron was good! For the most part. I guess. Right!?!!
- I’ve been in relationships for the most part of the past 3 years, I’m ready to just stay single & have fun
- “I believe that for the most part, love is about choices. It’s about putting down the poison and the dagger & making your own happy ending.”
- The results were, for the most part, inspired and showed the versatility of the material. (Economist)
- What follows is a list of 30 U.S. cities where, for the most part, job opportunities and salaries are still strong, unemployment rates are moderate, and the cost of living will not strain an entry-level budget. (Bloomberg)
- She(Mrs.Roosevelt) was taught at home by tutors for the most part, and she recalled later in her autobiography… (NYT)