흠…..오늘의 표현은 정확히 한국어로 대응하는게 없어서
뭐라 딱히 motivation을 설명하기 힘든데…
미국사람들이 자주 쓰는 표현이라고나 할까요?
for lack of a better word 또는
for want of a better word
- [Definition] if you say that you are using a particular word for lack of a better word, you mean that it is not quite exact or suitable but there is no better one
- 한국어로 구지 번역하면 motivation 섹션에서 빨간 글씨로 표시한 부분처럼 느낌을 줄 때 사용하는 phrase입니다.
for a lack of better word라는 표현은 영화 1987년 영화 Wall Street 중에서 Gordon Gekko 가 던진유명한 대사에 한 부분이기도 하다.
유명한 대사라 패러디로도 자주 사용된다.
얼핏보면 예전에 다룬 if you will 과 비슷해보이지만, if you will 은
- “단어, if you will”
순서로 나오지만 for lack of a better word는 보통(예외도 있음)
- “for lack of a better word, 단어” 순서로 쓴다.
이런 구조 때문에 펀치라인 전에 유머스럽게 자주사용된다.
- My daughter is, for lack of a better word… dumb. (The 40 Year Old Virgin)
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- But in my candid moments, I sometimes wonder if I take the stance I do because love, for lack of a better word, is a game I fail to understand (Elementary)
- The point is that this is a very odd thing, supernatural, for lack of a better word. (Being John Malkovich)
- Well, I’m hoping that the traitor will, for lack of a better word, confess (Alphas)
- The ins and outs of how you and Lucas Cross knew each other and how you became, for lack of a better word, his victim (Major Crimes)
- Your number one priority was to go to all these fabulous parties and to get,well,for lack of a better word,famous. (Privileged)
- Someone on MSNBC just used the phrase “for lack of a better word, ‘swag'”. #2015
- Why has my 8-year-old turned bossy (for lack of a better word)?
- “But now I find myself in need of something new?which for lack of a better word we shall call, magic.”
- “Mike always strived for a level of freshness,” Mr. Michaels said, “and, for lack of a better word, coolness.” (NYT)
- Songs have become, for lack of a better word, trivial (NYT)
- It takes a while to, for lack of a better word, mature.” (NYT)
- for lack of a better word.
- existential angst, for lack of a better word,
- for want of a better word.