우리는 가족에게 영향을 많이 받는다. 어렸을 때는 특히 더 그렇다. 가까운 곳에서 그들과 함께 지내기 때문이다.
- 아버지가 과학자라면 나중에 커서 그의 발자취를 따라 과학자가 될 수도 있고,
- 어머니가 사업으로 성공했다면 그녀의 사업을 물려받을 수도 있고, 또 나 자신이 사업가의 길을 걸을 수도 있다.
이처럼 누가 걸어간 길을…그의 뒤를 잇는 경우를 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
follow in someone’s footsteps
[Definition] to do the same thing as someone else, esp. someone in your family, previously did:
follow IN someone’s footstepS 에서 in 과 s를 까먹지 말자
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Dad wanted me to follow in his footsteps but the pull of clowning was too strong. I got my first laughs at yeshiva impersonating my father. (The Simpsons)
- I wanna follow in the footsteps of my favorite expatriate writers. (Californication)
- So we’re going to see if you guys have what it takes to follow in the footsteps of some of our alumni. (America’s Next Top Model)
- My father accepts that I want to create for myself, not follow in his footsteps. (Inception)
- It was always his expectation I would follow in his footsteps. I worry that with this arm I will now be good for nothing but book learning and philosophy (Master and Commander)
- Asness tries to follow in Bogle’s footsteps by daring to champion contrarian views, even when they might offend some of his financial industry peers. (Bloomberg)
- Many men who run huge enterprises and reach the summit of their professions want their sons to follow in their footsteps. (NYT)
- It is as hard as ever to follow in the footsteps of greatness. (Economist)