발표나 에세이를 쓸 때
문제점, 단점, 또는 안타까운 점을 제시할 때, 엄청 자주 쓰이는 표현이 있다
- (of a missile) fail to reach its target.
- (figurative) be deficient or inadequate; fail to reach a required goal.
1. fall short의 어원은 archery(활쏘기)에서 유래되었다.
화살이 과녁에 맞기전에(short) 떨어지는(fall) 이미지에서 “~에 미치지 못하는” 또는 “부족한” 의미를 가지게 되었다.
Image source: http://www.happinessatworkindex.co.uk/
2. ”X 에 미치지 못하다” 는
fall short of X로 표현한다.
- the total vote fell short of the required two-thirds majority
Image source: http://www.nappynicole.com/
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- But, unfortunately for Lynette, this new label frequently fell short of what was advertised (Desperate Housewives)
- My arrow fell short! - Aim higher. (Attila)
- Mr. Rayder, where do you think your strategy fell short? (Reckless)
- You guys did a really good job first time out of the gate here, but there were a few that really fell short. (Face Off)
- Well, if it fell short of your expectation in any way… …then I apologize most sincerely. (I Capture The Castle)
sombrero: 모자 (in Spanish)
- Where Schools Fall Short (MYT)
- Yet Pandora’s guidance for the current quarter still fell short. (Bloomberg)
- WHEN a champion sprinter falls short of his best speeds, it takes a while to determine whether he is temporarily on poor form or has permanently lost his edge. (Economist)
- The Rockets’ fourth quarter comeback fell short as Dallas held on for a 111-100 win.
- Wellington loses 57-54. Great come back fell short
- Wal-Mart bumps its minimum wage to $9 an hour, but workers say it “still falls short“
- Efforts to sustain biodiversity fall short. (Nature)
- A leading explanation for how disease migrates falls short on clinical evidence. (Nature)
- Because PrePPI relies on structural representatives of sequence families, it falls short in mapping membrane protein interactions. (Nature)