가끔 인생에서는 너무 오바하는 것 같아도, 필요이상으로 조심해야하거나 주의해야할 때가 있다.
1) 낯설고 위험하다고 소문난 지역에 혼자 탐방을 가거나
2) 폭발 위험이 있는 화학약품을 다루거나
3) 감염될 수 있는 바이러스로 실험을 하거나
3) 상견례를 할 때나..
“너무 과하더라도 조심하는 편이 나아” 를 영어로 어떻게 할까?
err on the side of something
- [Definition] to choose an action that may be too extreme
1. err 란 단어를 개별적을 봤을 때는 “실수를 범하다”라는 의미이지만, 이 표현(err on the side of X) 에서는 그런 의미로 쓰이지 않았다!
2. err on the side of X라고 하면, “지나칠정도로 X를 해” 의 의미로 일반적인 표현이 있지만, 보통 “err on the side of caution” 로 많이 쓰인다. 과하더라도 조심해.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- She doesn’t have to, but I’d rather err on the side of caution. (Without a Trace)
- If I hadn’t have pushed him so hard, none of this would’ve happened. No neurologic deficits have surfaced, but clearly now, we have to err on the side of caution. (Sanctuary )
- But if you want to err on the side of safety I’ll just put him in the thing. (Sex and the City)
- And when I talk to her, I tend to err on the side of, “how are the kids? ” and “everything here’s great,” (Grey’s Anatomy)
- In a case like this, I think we should err on the side of caution.
- To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error. ~Liz Armbruster
- If u aren’t sure if you need permission to use someone’s work, always err on the side of caution.
- When I’m not sure about something, I try to err on the side of compassion
- Mixing the dough is a tactile pleasure. (It’s better to err on the side of stickiness, because the masa will dry out as you work with it.) (NYT)
- John McCain and Barack Obama need to err on the side of caution in choosing their running-mates. (Economist)
- At the debate, the governor said he had tried to err on the side of saving lives but acknowledged mistakes in how he handled it. (NYT)
- Better to err on the side of caution.
err on the side of caution과 비슷한 표현으로 better safe than sorry가 있다