image source: thenlightenedpath
인생을 살다보면 중요한 순간에 실수를 하는 경우가 있다.
- 중요한 프로젝트를 맡게되었는데, 보기좋게 말아먹거나,
- 중요한 자리에서 돌이킬수 없는 말 실수를 하거나,
- 못지킬 약속을 해서 사람을 실망시키거나,
- make a mistake
- to make a blunder; to fail in some way.
“실수하다”의 의미로 drop the ball을 쓰지만, “X에 있어서 실수하다”를 표현하고 싶으면 drop the ball ON X의 형태로 쓴다.
- PROFESSOR CARTER:Just don’t drop the ball, okay? EVAN:I won’t let you down, Professor Carter. (Butterfly Effect)
- What you did was drop the ball, Probie. Get that right. (Backdraft)
- You know, it seems all you do lately is drop the ball. (Friends)
- Look, the truth is l could use a little help on this. l don’t want to drop the ball on this one. (The X Files)
- You afraid you might blow it? I just thought if you drop the ball, I’m in reserve to clean it up. (Officer Down)
- Did Airport Security Drop the Ball In Malaysia? (Bloomberg)
- I take no issue with your assertion that the US is about to “drop the ball”; the question is who will be able to pick it up. (Economist)
- Did We Drop the Ball on Unemployment? (NYT)
- Dallas’s Music Scene is back. I just hope whoever is next up doesn’t drop the ball. My heart can’t take it.
- Don’t drop the ball migrating to SaaS
- We are all going to “drop the ball” at some point in our lives. When it does, how will you handle it?
- You are well aware that I do not drop the ball
- who are dropping the ball
- because the government has dropped the ball on much of this, I’m afraid.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No(Idiom)
- Can I use it in a email? Yes(but only if it’s casual)
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No
- Frequency? A lot