효자손은 혼자서 등가려움을 없앨 수 있게 만들어준 혁신적인 도구이다.
그런데 이 어메이징한 도구는 훈육용 회초리로도 많은 부모님들께 애용되는데..
이처럼 ”기존의 목적이외에 다른 용도로도 사용되는 것”을 은유적으로 어떻게 표현할까?
do double duty
to do two jobs at one time
- Kudrow does double duty in the show, playing her regular role and the character’s twin sister.
be used for two different activities
- Three conference rooms do double duty as dining rooms when the main dining room is full.
- to do two jobs at one time
- Our ships’ll have to do double duty. (In Harm’s Way)
- Needless to say, some of us have to pull double duty. (Lost)
- He disappeared and left me doing double duty for weeks, ok? (The Listener )
- Don’t open your eyes or it’ll burrrn, burn, burn. The smell helps clear your sinuses too, so it’s doing double duty. (Four Rooms)
- Yoga and jogging pull double duty by improving memory, battling cancer, and keeping you younger.
- Do you know a woman that pulls double duty as a mom and an entrepreneur - a #MOMpreneur?
“This cooler does double duty as an air conditioner!”
- Wallet or handbag? Chained clutches do double duty in warmer months. (Bloomberg)
- But plenty of words do such double-duty, like “suspicious” and “doubtful”, without raising ire, as Ben Zimmer pointed out a few years ago. (Economist)
- Movies or Music Files? A Jukebox Does Double Duty (NYT)
- The pool does double-duty as a hot tub in the winter months, so it is rather small. (tripadvisor)
- The carnation centerpieces did double duty at the wedding: They lined the ceremony aisles and were later transported to the reception to serve as centerpieces. (FollowPics)
- Take the 13th-century British tome that did double duty as an impromptu shield for a hapless monk when the Vikings attacked his monastery. (stanford news)
- He did double duty as coach and athletic director for five years before he became a full-time as athletic director. (recordnet)
1. alliteration이 모든 단어에서 쓰이는 것을 기억하시길
do double duty