인생을 살면서 우리는 다음과 같이 행동하는 사람을 보거나 우리자신이 이렇게 하는 경우를 종종 경험한다.
- 40분동알 달렸지만 보상으로 초콜렛 아이스크림을 먹을 때
- 점심을 건강하게 먹겠다고 샐러드를 만들어갔지만, 아주 새콤하고 fattening 한 드레싱을 쓸 때
- 영어공부을 위해 유학을 왔지만, 삶의 99.9%에서 한국어로만 생활할 때
- 일의 productivity 을 높인다고 App다운받고, 자기계발서 등을 읽고 하지만, 정작 일은 안하고 그것만 할 때
즉 “어떤 목적을 위해 어떤 행동을 취했지만 곧바로 그 목적을 위배하는 행동을 취할 때..” 이런 안타까운 상황을 어떻게 묘사할까?
defeat the purpose
- [Definition] be against the purpose of something, to nullify the purpose of something. Do something that sabotages the thing that you are trying to accomplish.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Well, feeling bad defeats the purpose of being - a psychopath, doesn’t it? (Hannibal)
- That would kind of defeat the purpose, now wouldn’t it? (Play It Again, Dick)
- if you don’t wear ’em as you ride up, that just defeats the purpose. (Django Unchained)
- What’s the point of skimming if we’re being skimmed? It defeats the purpose. (Casino)
- A: Chewing tobacco defeats the purpose of drinking kale, doesn’t it? B:Well, I like to think that they cancel each other out, maybe. (Orange Is the New Black)
- Discretionary sentencing defeats the purpose of any law, be it gun control, grand larceny or murder, because it vitiates the deterrent effect of that law. (NYT)
- It defeats the purpose if most students don’t complete, doesn’t it? (Economist)
- For gold bugs who fears Armageddon and big government, this defeats the purpose of owning physical gold. (Bloomberg)
- If u have to tell your significant other to post about u, doesn’t that defeat the purpose?
- Went for a run today + got ice cream as a reward ?? kinda defeats the purpose of running (walking) but whatever
- Watching cops and the guy being chased in the car is using his signal lights when he turns hahaha doesn’t that defeat the purpose !!!
보통 질문형으로 많이 쓰인다.
- Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?