오늘의 표현은 Don Lee님께서 추천해주셨습니다. 감사합니다.
살다보면 기대하지 않았던 문제들이 불쑥불쑥 하나둘 씩 생겨날 때가 많다.
- 마음잡고 일을 하려고 하는데, 갑자기 컴퓨터 전원이 안켜진다!
- 고요한 마을에서 갑자기 폭동이 일어난다!
- 프로젝트같이 진행하는 자와 갑자기 논쟁이 시작됨
- To appear or occur, especially suddenly or unexpectedly.
오늘은 Phrase History 먼저 다루겠다. PhraseFinder 에 따르면 이 표현은 17세기부터 지질학자와 광부들이 “땅을 뚫고 나온 돌”들을 묘사하기위해 쓰였던 표현이란다. 돌들이 “불쑥” 튀어나온 것과 “unexpectedly”의 뉘앙스가 엮어진 것 같다. 구글 Ngram을 보면, 이 표현은 19세기 중반부터 인기가 많아지고, 그 이후 꾸준히 쓰여진 것을 확인할 수 있다. image source: Google Ngram
- It seems like every week a whole new set of problems would just crop up out of nowhere. Except for summer where nothing seemed to happen for months at a time. (Seinfeld)
- Did something unexpected crop up? (Birds)
- They can tell from the eyelashes, you know? He’s got eyelashes yay long. They must be a foot long. The older you are when you have a baby, the more likely this stuff is to crop up. ( Aniversary Party)
- Fix one leak, two more crop up and we’re stuck in the mess. (Law & Order)
- Decisions can be made more quickly and problems resolved as soon as they crop up. (Economist)
- By exploring mines worldwide, retailers can veer away from politically messy situations that crop up in any single area. (Bloomberg)
- At UN, talks are ‘moving’ but new problems crop up. (MYT)
- In a very short time, people in Gujarat were able to control the violence that cropped up a few days back
- Some great ideas beginning to crop up.
- I’m seeing the phrase “principle photography” suddenly crop up a lot, and need to check I’m not going insane… Not a thing. Right?
- And west Antarctica cropped up on top some under-sea islands, is particularly rapid in its melting.
- And if I was to put money on it, I would put money on — in a very unscientific way — that these things would also crop up at the LHC.
- Among the other interesting things that have cropped up are many things from businesses, from marketing and communications and predictable things, to an insanely popular Korean-barbecue taco truck that drives around L.A. and Twitters where it stops, causing a line to form around the block.
- I noticed a particularly tasty-looking sun-dried tomato loaf that used to crop up from time to time.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
crop up은 occur 과 의미가 비슷하지만, 완전히 interchangeable하지는 않다. a. the accident cropped up at about 3:30 p.m. (X) b. the accident occurred at about 3:30 p.m. (O) a번문장보다 b번문장이 자연스러운 이유는, 여러가지가 있는데,
- 통계적이유(90%): “the accident occured..“라는 문장 자체가 워낙 자주 쓰이는 phrase다. 그래서 훨씬 자연스럽다.
- 논리적이유(10%): crop up 은 “갑자기” 라는 뉘앙스가 있는데, 갑자기 일어난 것이라면 정확한 시간을 아는 것이 아이러니하기 때문이다.