“네 이녀석!!! 딱 걸렸어!!” 누구 몰래 나쁜 짓을 하다가, 현장에서 딱 걸려본 적이 있는가? “딱 걸리다”를 영어로 어떻게 표현할까? “Someone kept eating my food, and finally yesterday I caught Mike red-handed eating my salad !!!”* *실제로 한동안 필자의 연구실 공용냉장고에서는, 사람들이 나중에 먹으려고 저장해둔 음식들이 계속 사라지는 괴의한 일이 두 달간 발생했었다. 이 공공의 적에게 모두가 “빡”이 쳐 있었는데, 결국에는 범인은 사람들이 다 퇴근한 밤에 몰래 냉장고 옆에서 남의 음식을 우걱우걱먹다가 제일 피해를 많이 본 피해자에게 딱 걸렸다.
- to catch a person in the act of doing something wrong.
- 은근 오래된 표현인데, 이 표현의 유래는 조금 잔인하다. 살인 현장에서 범행을 저지른 범인의 손은 피 범벅, 즉 빨갛기 마련이라, “catch PERSON red-handed”라고 했단다.
- Monsignor, we caught the thief red-handed! (Les Miserables)
- Your plan is to catch them red-handed before they can destroy the evidence, then write an expose for the paper and win yourself another big award. (Bounty Hunter)
- The whole idea behind this operation is to catch Joe Cabot red-handed. (Reservoir Dogs)
- Simpson? you might say you caught him red-handed. Simpson, you and I are going to have a little talk. (The Simpsons)
- They caught me red-handed with stolen mafia loot. (Hot in Cleveland )
- The defendants were caught red-handed committing these crimes on audio and videotape. (Bloomberg)
- Our strategy was to catch the suspect red-handed, and it worked (NYT)
- Could he describe a meeting where banks caught him red handed and still acquiesced in his conduct? (Bloomberg)
- Literally just caught this guy red handed recording me doing squats at the gym…………
- Caught red-handed: Gracie trying to use my YOGA Tablet 3 Pro.
- CNN anchor Anderson Cooper was caught red-handed LYING about Donald Trump.
- You might say you caught him red-handed.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
1800년 이후로부터 쓰인 표현인 것을 알 수 있다. image source: Google Ngram
- 이상한 전치사 갖다붙이지 말자
- He got caught with red-hands (X)
- He got caught red-handed (O)
- “red-handed”가 adjective인 것을 까먹지 말자
- He got caught red-hand (X)
- He got caught red-handED (O)