인생을 살면서, 특히 스피치 할 때 자주 나오는 표현이 있다.
“~ 하는 사람, 손들어보세요“
이 표현을 영어로는 어떻게 할까?
raise your hand if <질문> 으로 직역해서 말할 수도 있지만, 이런 상황에 특히 자주 쓰이는 phrase 가 있으니…
By a show of hands
- [Definition] expressed by people raising their hands.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- By a show of hands how many of you were bothered|by this woman’s singing outside? (Friends)
- Now by a show of hands, how many of you people went to college? (Everybody Hates Chris)
- Look, by a show of hands here how many of y’all got a sense of humor, huh? (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air )
- I need to know by a show of hands how many of you aren’t gonna be able to make it. (Scrubs)
- Everybody back. Now, just by a show of hands, who’s still voting guilty? (Monk)
- By a show of hands, how many people are annoyed with my band related posts?
- By a show of hands: who realized today that they are more emotionally invested in baseball than in relationships with other humans?
- By a show of hands, who’s ready to rage?
- These things should no more be decided by a poll of judges than by a show of hands from the audience (NYT)
- And there are still Aldermen and Sheriffs, usually elected by a show of hands. (Economist)
- By a show of hands, that proposal was voted down. (NYT)
- A show of hands 다. a를 까먹지 말자
- Video 섹션을 꼭보길 추천한다. 보면 알겠지만, 전치사 by를 생략하고 자주 쓴다. 즉 ”a show of hands”를 명사로만 써도 된다.