오늘의 표현은 Emma Seol 님께서 추천해주셨습니다 (Hat tip^^) .
살다보면 이렇게 소리치고 싶을 때가 있다. “어우..짜증나게, 재촉 좀 제말 그만…!!!!” 이렇게 말하게 하는 상황을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까? “I can’t stand you breathing down my neck!!”
- to keep close watch on someone; to watch someone’s activities intently.
- to represent an approaching deadline.
“breathe down one’s neck” 이라는 표현은 literally(문자 그대로)도 쓰이고,
- I also don’t understand why people have to breathe down my neck in line… Do you know what personal space is?
- I like clingy but ‘not breathing down my neck and texting me every millisecond’ clingy
- Okay, you don’t have to breathe down my neck every minute. (Melissa & Joey)
- So I’ve gotta go and breathe down her neck. (Footballers’ Wives)
- And I gotta confess, I was really starting to feel that life sentence breathe down my neck, but you know what? I got angels, man. (The Mentalist)
- The only way to get a seat in these crowded proletarian eateries was to size up who was likely to finish first and, literally, breathe down his neck … (NYT)
- They feel they are entitled to breathe down the general’s neck because they “have been there.” (Economist)
- Messier says taking a greater stake in USA is a good investment and not meant to breathe down Diller’s neck. (Bloomberg)
- Some man just breathed down my neck and now I wanna die
- I’m very easy to manage as a workforce, no need to breathe down my neck.
- can you like not breathe down my neck?
- I can’t have SanCorp breathing down my neck again.
- breathing down the neck of the establishment.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No. The expression is a bit too casual.
- 아무래도 표현이 은유적이라 academic 한 context에서는 자주 안쓰인다.
1950년 이후에 자주 쓰이는 것을 확인할 수 있다. 꽤 모던한 표현이다. image source: Google Ngram
- “숨쉬다”” 동사는 E가 붙는다 breathE
- I hate it when pepople breath down my neck! (X)
- I hate it when pepople breathE down my neck! (O)
- 누구의 목인지 항상 밝히자
- I hate it when pepople breath down neck! (X)
- I hate it when pepople breathe down MY neck! (O)